Boost Kicking In Late

Basically the car has been running spot on for about 8 months now, then I took it out for a drive tonight for the first time in 3 days. As soon as it started it felt more sluggish than normal, so I decided to keep my eye on the boost gauge.

Where (from what I remember) my turbo used to kick in at about 3-3.5k and be at full boost by about 4-4.5 (guestimate) it has now decided to start at about 4.5-5k and not even reach full boost by the time I feel comfortable changing gear.

I have gone round and checked the pipes for boost leaks, plugs and leads aren't very old at all, actuator seems to be hooked up like normal etc.

Has anyone had a similar issue and resolved it? Could it be dump valve related as I've not yet checked this.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as always.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of responses, had a busy few days.

Little bit of an update for you all, not too sure as to whether the two issues are linked or not, but I've had a bit of an unpleasant evening:

46719_468616275855_503275855_7045599_368159_n.jpg

I'll explain more when I get a chance.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for leaving so long to respond to this. Luckily it wasn't as bad as I had initially thought, it was all pretty dramatic and had me fearing the worst. All that had happened is I was on quite high boost, combined with travelling at motorway speeds. There was a hairline crack in the turbo oil feed and the pressure had made oil spray everywhere. Luckily I turned the engine off before all the oil had got out and the engine's running fine again now.

On a less positive note, I'm still not reaching full boost until 5k and it's starting to get really frustrating!

I guess I'll have to check the dump valve, if its not then remove the mani and take the heat wrap off to check for any cracks, if not then I guess it'll be wastegate checking time.

race-tech's braided oil feed/return is a godsend, the damage this sort of problem can do is VERY costly. potientially taking out the turbo, engine etc...

So for the sake of £60, i know what id rather do! :)

Glad to hear its sorted mate, fingers crossed you find somthing simple causing your slow boost times...

race-tech's braided oil feed/return is a godsend, the damage this sort of problem can do is VERY costly. potientially taking out the turbo, engine etc...

So for the sake of £60, i know what id rather do! :)

Glad to hear its sorted mate, fingers crossed you find somthing simple causing your slow boost times...

Thanks bud, as soon as I have resolved the boost issue that will be first on my 'to buy' list. I need to make sure I get this sorted first due to being a bit strapped financially.

Thanks bud, as soon as I have resolved the boost issue that will be first on my 'to buy' list. I need to make sure I get this sorted first due to being a bit strapped financially.

This may help as a way to test how well your actuator is holding then replace it if it is too weak. Note - You should feel the diffrence straight away

but make sure you watch your boost gauge and keep it safe don't over boost for your setup.

Cheap actuator upgrade