Fao Lower Arm Bar Users

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about purchasing a front lower arm bar but I've heard mixed opinions on them, so just a couple of questions on them.

1) Did it improve the drive or handling of your Starlet?

2) Did it scrape the ground? How low is your car?

3) Would you recommend one to other Starlet owners?

Thanks for any input, I hope this helps other people who have considered one.

Idrees

I've been running one for a while now.

on the 14s - pretty damn low tbh mate - yes it sometimes scraps, i have to watch the road ahead especially if its a road i dont know to look for high points in the middle between the tyre ruts if u will. i have to take speed bumps EXTRA EXTRA slow with it.

now I've got the 15s on it aint so bad tho as she sits a little more reasonably high lol. but a big stone or nasty manhole cover could still easily catch it.

handling - i noticed an improvement in turn in yes, at first i thought it caused oversteer but now that im used to it i like it, just helps tighten up the front a bit.

would i recommend it - well, i can be a bit anal about braces and struts so from that aspect i'd say i would recommend one, it has improved my handling, but it depends how low your car is, even on a track u would loose it on the rumble strips if your too low, my brother didnt notice it when it was on his GT so he wouldnt recommend it, and i wouldnt recommend spending big dolla on them as they get BATTERED and bent in no time, i'd say opt for a JD Tuning one!

Phil.

You'd feel the difference further with a 4 point lower arm Id.

Being FWD anything reinforcing the front of the chassis is quite noticeable/beneficial.

They are recommended for track use but on a highly tuned street setup is fine and works for me.

I'm no expert but with a lower arm fitted 'turning feel' is more responsive and tighter.

I'm running 15's lowered around 35mm atm. Pics show similar ride height both Cusco and your items on old tanabes.

your 4 point has slightly more clearance than the Cusco. Cusco is guaranteed to get hit in my experience.

Cusco

DSC02730.jpg

DSC02921.jpg

your

CIMG0655.jpg

CIMG0668.jpg

Pros & Cons

+ Improved steering response/feel

+ Reduced wheel hop/torque steer

+ Tighter/harder turning/cornering confidence

+ Completes front bracing setup (ties lower suspension points)

+ Essential track item

+ Good addition to overall suspension setup

+ Affordable in both 2point/4 point options

+ Few brands to choose from (your/Tanabe/Cusco)

+ Solid

- Will lower overall ground clearance once installed

- WILL hit/scrape speedbumps/rocks if too low

- 2 point has less exhaust/ground clearance

- Will get a few battle scars as shown regardless of design

- Can vibrate on exhaust pipe if not enough clearance

- Not recommended if going super low

- Some brands are hard to get e.g Tanabe

These guys would recommend a 4 point any day :)

92448729_36dd8047d3_o.jpg

Hope this helps :)

Joz

Thanks guys that's a great help.

The only one thing stopping me is ride height. My ARB and ALK are around 1" off the ground so maybe it's not a good idea yet. I'll probably raise the car soon and opt for the 4 point. They're available on eBay :)

Your welcome Idy.

Thats the thing, as soon as you fit one your ground clearance is already reduced by a few cm.

Buying from eBay for these is 100%.

If handling improvements are your thing you can't really go wrong.

I'm pretty sure my old cusco now rocks on the nanglewagon lol!

Joz

it does indeed my friend, we fitted it a few months back. i mainly run main roads and motorways, so i have no major issues, the only time was on the 14s on Jay's lane, on 15s she'll be fine, but yes they do get the odd battle scar, esp if your suspension compresses in a dip right before a bulge in the tarmac or a rock then CABLAMM, and its a horrible noise! really freaks me out!

big profile tyres wont go a miss either, think i'll be goin bigger on the 14s next season.

also - that is the most immense collection of R2s EVAR!

Phil.

• 3 months later...

Ive just looked at the your 4 Point low braces and how does the back 2 point mount to the car, is it on the Anti-Lift kit as the front seams to go onto the front wishbones but dont know about the other two point towards the back??

Sorry i dont know why i put your, it was meant to be your, lol.

What i mean was on the Rear your brace that you can get, you have to drill hole to fit it, however, AFAIK the 4 point your front lower H brace doesnt need drilling.

Damn UKSC!!!

:mad:

your your

U R