need help / advice .. brakes failed on MOTORWAY

hi i was driving on the motorway down to bury,

what happened was as i pressed the pedal and it literally dropped to the flooor.. this was at about 70-80mph...

however took my foot off the pedal and pressed it again and it started to brake but still low, so did that afew times and it was ok....

drove for afew more miles and the same thing happened, pedal dropped to the floor... did what i did before and it was ok...

this carried on till i got to bury with alot down gearing..

anyways went straight to the scrappy and he said that its most lykly Brake master cylinder or brake servo or low fluid or air leak...

there was enough fluid..

started the car up again and the brakes are fine no probs at all...

took it to a mechanic and he bled all the brakes..

they have been fine since then but im still worried about the brakes going again!!

anyway of checking if Brake master cylinder or brake servo is knackered?

also anyway of reducing brake pedal travel?

Pump the pedal till it goes hard the start the engine holding pressure on the pedal if it sinks servo ok, with the engine off pump pedal til hard and see If it sinks if it does you could have a fluid issue, check all doun m/c for fluid leaks and In either interior foot well which ever one is close to where the m/c is located

my first port of call would have been to change the fluid. a trait of brake fluid is to absorb moisture so after a year or two it's not good anymore. it might be worth changing the brake servo hose to be safe.

Pump the pedal till it goes hard the start the engine holding pressure on the pedal if it sinks servo ok,

did this, servo is ok

with the engine off pump pedal til hard and see If it sinks if it does you could have a fluid issue,

doesnt sink when hard so no fluid issue

check all doun m/c for fluid leaks and

checked this too.. its fine (master cylinder in bay)

In either interior foot well which ever one is close to where the m/c is located

will check this and let you know

anything else i could check?

does it have a brake bias control under the car for front/rear balance? could be on its way out. mine went last month on my caddy van, very simlar symtoms, then wen it finly went completly it shit fluid everywhere :)

the brake bias control valve is bolted to the bulk head and i dont understand why it would be after market?!?! all cars require brake bias i guess you mean an ajustable bias control valve?!?!

the stalet/paseo one is located here and i would imagine the corolla one would be in asimilar position!!

22052010296-1.jpg

if it is this i have a spare here!!

I would get a replacement master cylinder as soon as you can (at least so it's ready to fit when yours goes even if you don't fit it straight away).

Remember that they have rubber/soft seals, so when one goes it can be a bit hit-and-miss because it can twist/pinch/stretch etc!

took it to my local mechanic...

the nut in the middle of the wheel hub was very loose...

Untitled-1.jpg

he said that it could be because of this that the brake pedal dropped to the floor..

could this have happend?

LOL!

All that "nut" does is hold the hub/driveshaft together nothing to do with the braking....either way you would have still had brakes on one side so the pedal wouldnt have fallen

LOL!

All that "nut" does is hold the hub/driveshaft together nothing to do with the braking....either way you would have still had brakes on one side so the pedal wouldnt have fallen

thanks bro.. thats what i was thinking... will go pick up a spare master cylinder and servo tomorow...

Actually....

A: "loose nut" - If the hub becomes loose then it can move, and the disc moves with it, pushing the piston back into the caliper (the expelled fluid ends up back in the master cyl cylinder reservoir). When this happens you'll need to pump the pedal a few times to push the piston back into place.

B: "if one corner fails you'll still have a hard pedal" - Not true, think about when you bleed ONE caliper.....the pedal sinks to the floor!