engine keeps putting out white smoke at a stop. mates are saying its not valve stem seals becuase it would be blue. it isnt the head gasket. ive been keeping an eye on the oil and its bearly using any! dad is saying its just rich on fuel. some one told me its becuase its a decat? and water is passing in to my back box and when i come to a stop its puffs it out.

needing ppls verdicts!

guess ya mean the smoke coming out the exhaust and not from the engine bay ?

does it only do it when stopped or when moving aswell

does it do it on boost.

answer them and it should help ya with gettin to the bottom of things :)

Id say your running rich or lean, i would get yourself a Air/fuel ratio gauge.. and maybe a Fuel reg.. It mite be because the decat is not burning the excess fuel.. what the normal standard cat would be doing.

The white smoke will be steam. To have some steam coming out of the exhaust is normal as the exhaust will condensate especially on colder days and short journeys, due to a cold exhaust and hot gases passing through it on start up.

But ifs there is excessive white smoke pouring out then you could be burning water.

I.e

Blue smoke = Burning oil

Black smoke = Runing Rich

Excessive White smoke = Burning water/coolant

So if you are burining water, then obviously water is making its way in to one of the combustion chambers. This could mean the head gasket could of failed or something worse.

Check if its excessive and if it is just condensation in the exhaust then it should get better on idle after a run.

Also you could remove the radiater cap, and run the engine. Look into the radiater so you can see the water level, sometimes if you are burning water, the compression on the piston will cause slight bubblying in the rad. (Obviously dont let get to hot or you might get coolant everywhere.

Hope this helps a bit.

• 3 weeks later...