Drop a 4EFTE engine in there.

Of course it's not "cheap" in the real sense of the word but it's the cheapest way of getting any real power.

If you just want a slight performance increase that is actually cheap then get a Corolla inlet manifold.

Have a browse in the technical section, pretty much everything you'd ever want to ask is in there lol

http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=11

But the best way for more power is to get the engine breating nicely; Inlet manifold from a 1.3Bug-eye Corolla (98-00), K&N Panel filter or induction kit with cold air feed and alloy inlet pipe, 2" Cat-Back exhaust system

With those mods I went from factory power (75bhp) to 87.6bhp :)

Oh and watch where you're posting things, you'll get to know the forum soon enough!

i had 88.1 as standard on a 4efe. put a cat back exhaust and air filter and made 94bhp, was a power house haha.

i would look at sorting the suspension out before you go looking for more power, you need to be able to go round corners and stop before u go faster imo

cheapest way to make it go faster is to rip out anything you don't need!!!! Get the thing as light as possible, don't need rear seats, spare wheel. etc plus it costs nothing to rip it out! :D