SR Exhaust - better performance?

Just a quick query - I have a EP91 Sportif that I use for navigation rallies...she's running sweet as a nut but we're trying to eek out a few bhp without going to too much expense (already fitted bugeye corolla inlet manifold).

I'm eyeing the exhaust and inlet and was wondering was the standard SR exhaust (described as "sports exhaust" in the official starlet merchandising guff afaik) much of a performance upgrade on the standard Sportif peashooter? What are my alternatives in terms of getting a bit more poke and a little bit of an exhaust note? Do standard glanza exhausts fit?

correct, back box only.

glanza exhausts have different hangers, but someone handy with a welder could sort that.

a back box on its own isn't really gonna help dude, perhaps a full s/s system from the likes of PowerFlow in Ballymena would be the way forward, or from Custom Pipes in Newtonabbey.

for an all round solid upgrade that may give 2 or 3 bhp i'd recommend good sparks and leads (NGK and Magnecor), a K&N Panel filter (esp combined with your rolla manifold), a full s/s exhaust system and an earthing kit wouldnt go a miss either if you're lookin to keep things relatively cheap and simple and retain the stock 4efe.

Phil.

well i had to have an N/A exhaust modified to fit my glanza back bumper, and then when the HKS Glanza exhaust was fitted it didnt line up in the centre section as my car is originally a UK N/a.

Phil.

Ahh, i thought Glanza and UK n/a hangers were the same.. Looks not then B)

:huh:

There are the Blitz realize systems and also 2nd hand systems from yahoo auctions japan.

An uprated exhaust manifold will also unleash a little more power and change the power band of your car.

My old Fujitsubo Legalis R n/a system

CIMG0546.jpg

Left - OBX 5EFE 4-2-1 manifold (eBay) Right - Hotshot 4-1 manifold (Very rare, made in USA and discontinued)

CIMG0626.jpg

Joz

There are the Blitz realize systems and also 2nd hand systems from yahoo auctions japan.

B)

Those Blitz systems are worth about twice the value of my car!...

So is the moral of the story that there are no Toyota OEM exhaust performance upgrades for the basic na cars, without going for 3rd party merchandise?

You are quite right B)

Even if there was a full system available (4EFTE engine has TRD exhausts available) it be probably more than the Blitz Realize.

Most top parts often cost left nuts but so worth it if you love your project.

Joz

You are quite right B)

Even if there was a full system available (4EFTE engine has TRD exhausts available) it be probably more than the Blitz Realize.

Most top parts often cost left nuts but so worth it if you love your project.

Joz

Last question (thanks for patience) - is a 5efe Paseo exhaust and manifold (standard) higher performance / larger diameter than my sportif peashooter, and more important - would it fit?

Last question (thanks for patience) - is a 5efe Paseo exhaust and manifold (standard) higher performance / larger diameter than my sportif peashooter, and more important - would it fit?

i think they can fit but may need a bit of modification to get it to fit.

The standard 5EFE Paseo exhaust/manifold is exactly the same size as the starlet one bar some different mounting positions as it is a different car underneath. The 5EFE engine block is 10mm taller however the difference it makes to manifold fitment is minimal.

The uprated OBX mainfold is 2" and it will fit the engine side of your starlet but not the exhaust side as it is 2", however it can easily be made to fit with either tapered welding or getting a full 2" system to mate it to, like my old Fujitsubo system. The downpipe which comes with it does not line up directly in the standard postion but a skilled exhaust fabricator will be able to re-route it for you if you decide to get a new exhaust, the actual manifold flange will also need a little shaving to clear the power steering pump.

Any more Q's don't hesitate to ask, its what we are here for B)

These cars are all about modification so its nothing new.

Joz