Flip up headunit doesn't fit

My single din flip up headunit, when fitted correctly, folds out and hits the a/c controls above it. I managed to change the angle to which it folds out but in order to see the screen and actually touch it I need it to be straight. Any idea how I can have the HU sit out another inch-2" so that it can fold up perfectly?

I've got a single din 1 with a 7 inch screen too, i fitted mines in the bottom bit as dan said and it fits perfect if i tilt the screen a bit.

if you do fit it like that make sure you take your bottle of juice out your cup holders before closing the screen or your screen will hit it!

Cheers for the feedback guys.

I had a play around today and I managed to get the brackets to fit in an odd way and still hold the other black space below it without being screwed together (somehow) and had that fit quite well. Had to adjust the tilt a tiny bit but i'm making progress.

Did have to shave parts off the cover that goes around the a/c controls and hazard buttons etc, but nothing major.