help modify my ep95

Ok just in the process of buying an ep95 from enzo, 3 door manual. Plans are, rebuild gearbox/gear ratios, exedy stage 3 clutch, forged 4efte, full re-spray. What else do I need? I have an ep91 1999 with a brand new td04, so I'm thinking, forged with je pistons, scat rods, etc wepr td05, ecu being apexi power fc? Interior loom, engine loom, full ep91 look to it, anything else? Help!! Exhaust system too, didn't realise the work involved with forging it

Ok just in the process of buying an ep95 from enzo, 3 door manual. Plans are, rebuild gearbox/gear ratios, exedy stage 3 clutch, forged 4efte, full re-spray. What else do I need? I have an ep91 1999 with a brand new td04, so I'm thinking, forged with je pistons, scat rods, etc wepr td05, ecu being apexi power fc? Interior loom, engine loom, full ep91 look to it, anything else? Help!! Exhaust system too, didn't realise the work involved with forging it

hi mate i also got an ep95 coming from enzo.

i think uve named everything there in your list bar the decent wheels and tyres, and coilovers/suspension setup of some kind.

im going for a side exit exhaust as if you want to lower the 4wd starlets u probz gna struggle to fit it back there with the rear diff and axle. if you really want a normal system then u might have to get it custom made but not sure on that one...

everything else i think uve pretty much named. one thing tho, why change the gear ratios? cus the 4wd boxes are close ratio so it will shoot through the gears fast. that was one of the main attraction points for me lol = more acceleration. good luck whatever u do mate.

you cant change the ratios in the box unless you match the final drive up with the rear diff, as far as im aware there isnt any other rear diffs available or ones that fit.

the gt internals do fit in as gaz did it with his but then took them out.

i think john or ted in ireland changed the ep85 1st gear for the gt 1st gear though.

• 3 weeks later...

to increase the top spead of the 4paws use longer c series gear ratios - a combination of these ratios can be found in yaris d4d boes plus the c151 5efe toyota corsa

you could just change fith or the last three ratios.

3-1.233 standard 1.310

4- 0.885 standard 0.969

5- 0.725 standard 0.815

5th should give you a theoretical top speed of 170mph using the 4.3 final drive. (hrf got over 175 on a 3.7 final drive)

gary at gbr motorsport can alter box ratios,

hes done one box for me already.

these ratios are available from toyota

crusing at 70 in top euates to 2850 rpms

fao all ep owners these ratios will also fit in any other c seires box.

he ratios in the 4wd box are the same as a gtt apart from the lower final drive and a shorter first.

the gears i posted from above would need to be purchased from toyota- im waiting on a quote on prices.

what i mean is, if your altering the gears will this not effect the final drive going to the rear diff so the front wheels will be turning at a different speed to the rear ones which would probably end up wrecking the viscous coupling as it would be taking up the strain.

thanks for that john

right so it seems ive got this wrong. if i swapped all the gears from a gt box into my ep85 box would my car do the same speeds in the same gears as a gt? or would the gearing in the rear diff need adjusted to suit?

ahhh right thanks john, for some reason i always thought the rear diff ratio needed to be changed if the gears were changed. im gutted now as every things back in my car now and ive just got it running again, i cant be arsed taking the box off now lol.

Yes mate, exactly the same. As long as you dont change the transfer box or rear diff ratios it will be fine.

thats brilliant to know john thanks mate.

ile see how the car goes when its turbo'd but i reckon i might end up changing the 1st and 5th then as theoretically that should give you more powerful launch take off for longer and also the cruising ability in 5th. but still retain the fast midrange through 2nd 3rd and 4th.

problem is that after driving mine back from scotland to birmingham i could tell how quickly it shot thru 1st gear and thats with 80odd bhp. so with 250 ile probz be shifting before i know whats hit me.

wow thats alot of amazing info there man. someone should take your posts in this topic and put it into a sticky on the 4x4 page just so its all together and easy to find

i noticed u said an lsd up front would solve some traction issue but are there any available that would fit the box ?

cheers

Russell

years ago i tried to get quaiffe to make a part up and they were crap to deal with. i even sent them the part i wanted modified and i just got the impression unless theres a big market for something there not interested, which is understandable really, so i would be surprised if they would make us a diff up.

im going through ktl, he stays close by + will be doing a gb on quafe diffs soon.

he knows a guy in there so has the insider contact, hopefully something might come of it,

with altered ratios and the grip with the front wheels sorted those ep*5s will be unstopable

well just got word back and its doable, they would need a gaz's standard open diff for development and quoted a scary figure for development 5k

we need to get some more specs of the diff and aproach them again becuase they were vague with their responses and i think it would be cheaper if we aproached them with all the info

im sure it share similaritys to another open diff in the c series family

im no expert in describing the differences though

@gaz if your reading this could you link up those pictures of the diff from your blue 85?

there are other options after speaking to steve for different suppliers so other avenus can be explored.

DSC00395-1.jpg

DSC00396-1.jpg

DSC00389-1.jpg

DSC00392-1.jpg

these the only pic's i got at mo, if ya need more i will strip a box down and take some more and do a few measurment's Geo,

john that welder keeps firing up everytime i get near that gearbox!!!!!, if we can't sort something out ill try it and see what happen's, just be a pig on the road!!!!

dude im rolling round in a 530d auto :D:D

blue one aint coming out till green one set's a time, then im gonna get that welder out and do front and back fuck it why not,

who's got a ae86 diff? they look like they could fit...

yeah were over next month for a few day's not running anything, then will be back over after that, that event there sounds good dude, will let ya no when were over first round is on you :p