Fumes coming out of Dipstick

Evening

Not had this friken glanza a week and I'm worried I've already got problems. Popped the bonnet this evening after a journey (occasional heavy right foot etc) and on top of the rocker cover was a bit of oil, now the breather filter looks like it's partially broke anyway, but surely there shouldn't be enough pressure to blow amounts of oil like this out, blow by? Took the dipstick out and saw slight fumes blowing out..

No white smoke or mayo under cap, no loss of power etc.

I'm worried as I've googled a few things and it looks like my rings could be on the way out, either that or I need a oil catch can?

Cheers

does there seam to be excessive pressure if you hold had over oil filler, the systoms youve decribed sounding like mine which was a PCV fault, dont go for new rings just yet, catch cans are not needed on stock starlets by the way if youres is stock that is.

Ideal, bought a minter.

The joint that goes into the breather keeps popping out, which would explain the oil. But obviously the pressure coming out of the dipstick isn't reassuring. Borrowing a compression tester later today, will chuck some oil in to see if it improves results.

I'm no expert but if it is rings/ringland is it a costy big job? I'm worried now.

Cheers

Depends how good you are with a spanner, if your good its a cheap fix, I've had a few 4efte's in bits there not a hard engine to rebuild. If not then i would expect buying a new engine would be cheaper than a garage bill for rings to be replaced, possable block work ect.

If the PCV valve keeps popping out it must have a bit of pressure behind it which does sound like you've cracked a piston, let us no the results of the compression test. It can be expensive if you take it to a garage but you should strip it down yourself and give it a go. If you get stuck or need a hand people on will be more than happy to help. What mods is the car running

If the PCV valve keeps popping out it must have a bit of pressure behind it which does sound like you've cracked a piston, let us no the results of the compression test. It can be expensive if you take it to a garage but you should strip it down yourself and give it a go. If you get stuck or need a hand people on will be more than happy to help. What mods is the car running

Zisco exhaust mani.

Jperformance exhaust decat back heat wrapped to back box.

Hybrid ct9 with decat pipe runnin 0.9 bar boost. (Series 2 I believe?).

Aircon removed (still have air con if buyer wants to refit it)

Relocated Air filter.

HDI intercooler kit with water spray kit.

Bailey Dump valve.

Die hard battery.

Walbro 255LPH Fuel pump.

Fuel regulator.

HKS fuel cut defender.

Forgot to mention, dads a mechanic so I've got experience and tools/ramp etc. We done a compression test and the results, (left to right, is that 1 or 4?)

1: 95 Psi

2:170 Psi

3:165 Psi

4:170 Psi

Wasn't 3 that's knackered which a few people have told me it'll be. Fixed breather and it's not pushing out as much oil now, but still blowing slight fumes through dipstick. From what I've been looking at it's going to be easier to buy a engine and swap it all over.

I want your honest answers on this, I've had the car 5 days and I've been told this wouldn't just happen overnight (If I'm honest it has been backfiring abit since I've had it), if you was a genuine fella and sold a car to find this happened a few days later would you be willing to help out abit with the costs?

Cheers

i would tbh, but then it depends on the kind of guy you are. some will sell a car and not care id personally want to be kept up to date on it if i sold mine on but that's more to do with the attachment i have to my v than how good a guy you are or aren't as a seller lol

reason most say number three is because the oem mani has a restriction in the third runner and if you up the boost it normaly kills number three due to the pressure increase, you have an aftermarket mani however so it more bad luck than anything id say B)

Ah right, didn't know that. The chap I believe to be very genuine, nothing i didn't feel un comfortable with. About to give him a message, and like others say, if he's decent he'll be more than happy to meet me some where.

i wouldn`t go for another engine, interestingly ALL of them are "low mileage" "strong" "working before removed" = bullshit 90% of the time

get yours to a decent engine builder and get it sorted that way, get the lad to cover some costs for the rings etc and you pay extra and get the bottom end done that way you`ll have a solid engine for time to come

Just slip him a message to let him know what has happened see what he says, more than likely he knew something was on its way out, mine was down on compression for ages and I still kept driving it.

But yea looks like something has broken in cylinder one, I can put money on it not been tuned correctly to run that boost on a hybrid.

Save for a new engine, decent management and a good tune

I sent him a message to let him know what was going on, basicly asking if he'd be happy to meet me in cost and the basic response I got was 'Sorry mate, sold as seen', which is abit **** as that statement is only good for a good road side inspection. Regardless, new engine or rebuild - I didn't put any oil down to see if it was a piston or valve, will do that tomorrow and go from there.

Will it be ok to drive on low boost? I can't do anything for a few weeks, still paying off what I borrowed in the first place!

Thats a shitter mate but yea sold as seen is always gonna be the case.

Yea im sure it will be fine if you just keep it off boost as much as possible, I used to still rag the shit outta mine but I knew it was coming off the road so didnt care, didnt blow up though lol

Yeah, it sure is. Will need to keep it on the road for as long as I can really, will be hard keeping it off boost but ah well. What's a rough price to spend on a engine, 300-500? Is ebay the best bet?

Yeah, we both have receipts. That's what I'm thinking, and from what I've been reading 'Sold as seen' is only good for a thorough roadside inspection, such as 'Oh i don't like the colour now, can i have my money back'?

Will see what he says.

Yeah, we both have receipts. That's what I'm thinking, and from what I've been reading 'Sold as seen' is only good for a thorough roadside inspection, such as 'Oh i don't like the colour now, can i have my money back'?

Will see what he says.

You'll find you can actually take it to a small claims court, I did when I bought a corsa gsi a couple of years ago. Car was low mileage, been promised the cam belt had been done, ended up snapping about two weeks and 40 miles later. Phoned the guy and he said sold as seen, but wasnt stated on the receipt, ended up taking it to a small claims court who pursued the claim, ended up coming away with a reconditioned engine fitted, plus £200 in expenses/loss of earnings lol.

Day

You'll find you can actually take it to a small claims court, I did when I bought a corsa gsi a couple of years ago. Car was low mileage, been promised the cam belt had been done, ended up snapping about two weeks and 40 miles later. Phoned the guy and he said sold as seen, but wasnt stated on the receipt, ended up taking it to a small claims court who pursued the claim, ended up coming away with a reconditioned engine fitted, plus £200 in expenses/loss of earnings lol.

Day

Ideal, but because the receipt say's 'sold as seen' I'm sure that'd be enough cover for him. Sent him another message, if no good will phone him tomorow and maybe be a bit more forceful, otherwise the bats will be coming out. (haha, jokes).