Heat wrap for exhaust

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been told it does but never told why :p guy i used to work with did mechanics on rally cars and he was saying there 600bhp @ wheels :p scooby was ceramic coated inside and out then double heatwraped :o from exhaust mani to tail pipe

it is worth it mate as it stopes alot of heat soak within the engine bay however be carfull if you are running a stainless manifold as it reduces the life of the manifold because the heat from the manifold cannot escape so it will crack it. but if you are running a mild steel setup this is not the case as they are stronger welds and stronger material. some may disagree with me here but thats what i think lol :o

Keeping the heat in the exhaust system aids flow, the quicker them gases cool the slower they will flow which is why people wrap them for a true preformace system it would be wrapped and also have a large diameter piping at the turbo and as you get to the rear that diameter gets slightly smaller because as you know gas Condences the colder it get so reducing the diameter will help keep the flow constant. If you get me.

tbh mate doing your exhaust sytem is note really worth at as stay cool inuf under your car but the mani i would have a crack at u nt running a 4efte r u???

But that's the whole point is to keep the system hot if it cools it slows the flow. You can see the effect on RR you alway produce more power on the second run because you've got the heat in the exhaust system.

Keeping the heat in the exhaust system aids flow, the quicker them gases cool the slower they will flow which is why people wrap them for a true preformace system it would be wrapped and also have a large diameter piping at the turbo and as you get to the rear that diameter gets slightly smaller because as you know gas Condences the colder it get so reducing the diameter will help keep the flow constant. If you get me.

i get what you are saying dude but if you heat wrap the system the heat wrap will stop cold air from under the chassis getting to the system i would rather leave the system bare so that you can get as much cold air to it ass poss.

Yeah I have a GT too :o

I heard it's good because it keeps the heat in, gases stay hot and flow quicker out of the exhaust?

Okay thanks Luke, 10M is about £5 on Ebay so I'll order two rolls probably!

Ah I see! I doubt I'll be wrapping the mani as it's a stock one, they can't really be wrapped can they? Don't wanna do the decat because it's stainless and might crack (is braced but still)

tbh mate if you can wrap the starndard mani then do it as they are cast and they are built like a tank but they are gst restrictive thats why people dont keep them even when ported they are moor restrictive than say a wepr mani

well decats aint so bad mate as they dont have to cope with the amount of pressure as the mani does i have never hered of 1 cracking beacuse of heat wrap i had a wepr powr up kit and the mani was mild steel and the downpipe was stainless it was thick but it was stainless never the less and as for the standard ani iev never done it and yea they are very tight but if you can get the wrap on it then give it a go