Heat wrap for exhaust

I think its worth doing... most people don't as its costly and time consuming and doesn't give great gains, so to some people hunting for power its not worth the expense.

personally i think it a great mod, will produce a much smoother more efficient power delivery and aid spool by keeping the gases moving at a consistent rate.... and as mentioned the more heat retention you have in the exhaust the more likely the unburnt fuel is to ignite i.e. Flamez yO!

also i think its defo worth doing the whole exhaust, yes most of the heat is produced round the turbo and a turbo blanket might be another option for you you to think about, but keeping the heat retention in the exhaust plays a big factor on delivery and flow from the turbo :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they all do the same thing to an extent... that thermo tec stuff is awesome and kinda looks like carbon wrap but tbh i wouldn't pay that much money especially to do a full exhaust! the cheap stuff works but wont last as long as the slightly more expensive stuff. I would stick with a medium price range heat wrap, they have a tighter weave then the cheap stuff so will last longer :)

Nice info there guys, thanks a lot :)

I've ordered the cheap £5/10M stuff as long as it's applied properly I reckon it should be alright. Do you need hose clips to secure the wrap or will cable ties do? (Heard they don't melt above 2 layers of wrap?)

good heat wrap can be expensive, you can tell the difference straight away between the two.

expensive wraps have tighter weaves and last longer, the cheaper ones last longer if you spray them with heat spray.

themo-tec and dei are both good. not cheap.

you need the steel ties to hold it on.

when putting on the heat wrap, dampen it a bit, helps wrapping the pipes. it will smoke when you start up but dont worry.

you will also get a strand smell for the first few times you drive but thats just it curing.

goodluck

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up in case anybody was wondering how much you need to order, 20M wasn't enough for my Japspeed system. I managed to wrap the front and middle sections and need another 10M to wrap the back box section :p

ok so anyone got good info on wrapping? shud i wet it a lil or soak it 2 layers ok ? wrap it nice and tight Nd get lots of steel ties ? jobs a gooden lol

also is it easy to wrap under a car? as i cba to take my exhaust off n probs have to get new gasket n rubbers as mine will break haha

There's some pics in my GT build thread guys

I'd let it all soak in a clean bucket of warm water for five minutes, REMEMBER TO WEAR GLOVES I had bastard fibreglass in my hands for days :p

I did it like

A couple of steel ties should do the job, wouldn't bother double wrapping though lol bit overkill :D

i didnt read all of this because most of it is jibber jabber,

wrapping the manifold will help with spool and heat soaking issues, turbos run off the heat mainly,as heat promotes the flow, so the more heat u retain in the system before the turbo the better after the turbo, the only real reason to heatwrap is to keep un wanted heat out, as if u have a proper sized exhaust, it velocity does not matter, as it is going to escape as fast as it can no matter what..

on an N/A example the theory is different, with it being velocity u want, not heat retention

and if u are going to do the whole exhaust, 10 metres wont get you very far if u are doing it right, because u are meant to overlap the material half on the layer before the current layer, 10 meters of 2-3 inch wrap may get your decat pipe and a small way under the gearbox, but dont count on it, i used 2 inch wide stuff and got half of my 3 inch dump pipe coated (from the turbo down to the driveshafts at the gearbox) but doing a whole exhaust is pointless on a street car anyways, i wouldnt even do it on a full race car cause it is a stupid cost that could be better spent elsewhere

thr are many reasons to rap a exhaust not just air flow, i have a front exit and the box iz very close to the o/s front brake and tyre so for this reason i wrap + air flow, but it also affects airo if the builder has gone all out on air dams and splitters and defusers. i think a full wrap can only benefit things to be honest. also helps the cat and lamba warm up faster and keep its heat wich aids fueling and ecomemy.