only thing you`ll be able to fit is the throttle body, apart from that the inlet/exhaust manifold is totally different......it is a direct fit i did a side by side comparison between an avensis and my N/A

just to add, there are issues with the powersteering vac lines more to point the lack of....something to do with a idle up valve which can be fixed but theres more hastle imo just get a FTE throttle body

think the corolla exhaust mani is better than the starlet one and the injectors are alittle different...

also different inlet manifolds... i had the 1st gen with a turbo TB... sounded amazing and did increase performance....

apart from that more or less the same...

Modding A 50mm Carina E Throttle Body To Fit A 4E-FE.

There are a couple of 50mm throttle bodies that will fit or can be made to fit to the 4E-FE. Including 4A-FE and 7A-FE throttle bodies and I guess FTE throttle bodies.

I choose this one over the others not only because it has about the same sensor layout (like the other 50mm ones above) but also because its made by a german company called Pierburg for Toyota and as such is of visibly beter quality, has an 8mm diameter butterfly shaft (All Toyota throttle bodies I have personally seen have had 10mm diameter shafts), and has oilite (self-lubricating) bronze butterfly shaft bushes (All Toyota throttle bodies I have personally seen have had steel bushes). So should allow a little more air to flow and have a smoother throttle action.

This throttle body has been soda blasted to clean it.(It came up nice I think)

SDC10995.jpg

SDC10996.jpg

SDC10998.jpg

SDC10999.jpg

SDC11000.jpg

SDC11023.jpg

I recommend the Carina E throttle body to be fitted to a 4E-FTE inlet manifold because the opening bore in the plenum of the corolla manifold is only 45mm so it would be pointless fitting a 50mm throttle body to it plus you need an extra manifold port if you want to retain the power steering idle up valve. A spacer that acts as an adaptor is needed to block an opening between the maiting faces of the throttle body and manifold because the Carina E throttle body is a different shape to the FTE manifold.

The sensors are different. They can be modded mechanicaly or electricaly, I choose a mechanical solution instead of an electrical one because I thinks it's more reliable. This is by no means a quick modification, I do things the right way trying to retain standard operation of all valves, I am no redneck!

Whats below only has some of the photos attached because i've only done half of the modification. I am posting it now because I have no time to finish it at the moment but it should still help.

Step 1

Remove the idle air control valve coil from both the Carina E throttle body and your old one.

Step 2

Fit the idle air control valve coil from your old throttle body to the Carina E one. Dont forget to clean the mating faces and apply new RTV silicone sealer.

Step 3

Remove the plate that is at the opposite end to the idle air control valve coil from both the Carina E throttle body and your old one. The plate swivels on its screws when loose and I believe this is to control idle so remember what position the plate was sitting in relation to the screws on your old throttle body so you can put it back the same.

Step 4

Remove the plastic stopper that is under the plate from step 3 from both the Carina E throttle body and your old one. I believe this stopper controls total valve movement. If you compare the bottom of the stoppers where it interfaces with the arm left in the throttle body you will see that the Carina E one has a shorter slot/gap.

Step 5

Fit the plastic stopper from your old throttle body into the Carina E one. It might be a bit of a pain to get the stopper to seat right to the bottom and in the right place.

Step 6

Fit the plate from either throttle body in the same position as your old one to the Carina E one. Dont forget to clean the mating faces and apply new RTV silicone sealer.

Step 7

Remove the throttle position sensor from both the Carina E throttle body and your old one. You will notice the Carina E one is bigger.

Step 8

Get a throttle position sensor adaptor machined up consisting of a housing and a shaft adaptor (gonna cost about 50 notes unless you have access to a milling machine and lathe) Drawings below, I hold no responsibility for the accuracy of them.

TPS_Adaptor_Housing.jpg

TPS_Adaptor_Shaft.jpg

Step 9

Using loctite, thread the throttle position sensor shaft adaptor onto the Carina E butterfly shaft finger tight and lock it in place with the set screw in the end of the shaft adaptor again using loctite.

SDC11025.jpg

Step 10

Remove the bufferfly shaft from your old throttle body and cut 22mm from the end with the large flat on it.

SDC11026.jpg

Step 11

Making sure the butterfly is fully closed with spring pressure and place the Carina E throttle body flat on its back onto a sheet of glass and insert the the butterfly shaft cut off from step 10 into the outer end of the throttle position sensor shaft adaptor so that the flat is parallel to the galss and tighten the 3 set screws finger tight using loctite.

SDC11034.jpg

Step 12

Stand a 300mm ruler using its edge onto the flat on the end of the butterfly shaft with the 150mm mark in the centre and adjust the position of the shaft untill the measurement between the very edge of the ruler and the glass is exactly the same both ends and then tighten the 3 set screws. (Mine was 22.75mm yours may differ)

SDC11029.jpg

SDC11030.jpg

SDC11031.jpg

Step 13

Place the Carina E throttle body flat on its bottom onto a sheet of glass and check step 12 by placing an engineers square up against the flat on the butterfly shaft.

SDC11032.jpg

Step 14

Fit the throttle position sensor housing adaptor over the butterfly shaft and shaft adaptor.

SDC11044.jpg

Step 15

Fit your old throttle position sensor to the Carina E one. Now 90 degrees from where it was sitting on your old throttle body.

If you really wanted you could miss out steps 1 to 6 and instead just swop the whole idle air control valve from your old throttle body to the Carina E one but you will lose a connection for the power steering idle up valve and the one that remains will need blocking up. You can also leave the Carina E idle air control valve as is but your engine might idle high.

I will not go into detail about how to fit a throttle body because im sure you can find that info in a lot of other places but I will tell you how to deal with the odd number of pipes on the Carina E throttle body.

The two coolant hoses (throttle body heater) still connent to the connections on the bottom of the Carina E throttle body.

The 2 power steering idle up valve hoses used to connect to the side of your old throttle body but now one connects to the middle connection on the bottom of the Carina E throttle body and one connects to the inlet manifold plenum.

SDC11035.jpg

I think that's about it any questions just ask.

Gavin

• 11 years later...