heat gasket failed after engine overheated :(

hey guys and girls

my starlet i bought a few weeks ago popped the hose from the thermostat out and to the block just above the starter motor and overheated,

replaced the pipe today and filled with coolant, just come back from driving about 35 miles and car has these symptoms:

- under 80mhp off boost car drives fine, temp needs sits right in the middle of gauge,

- any hard driving on boost or over 85mph the temperature reedle rises and a fast rate,

- coolant turned a nasty colour and boils

- car does not like pulling away from a junction at low rpm's but idles ok

from past experience this tells me the head gasket has failed from the piston/bore to exhaust valve side of the head.

i have very good mechanical knowledge and not affraid to use a set of spanners, done engine changes, clutches, head gaskets on most honda stuff in the past.

How hard is it to do on a ep82 gt and anything in particular i need to look out for or special tools required?

thanks Rob

cool thanks,

are oem copy gaskets ok to use or shall i go for genuine toyota, looking for stock thickness,

i would always go for toyota. youd only be kicking yourself if it failed, and wondering if the fact you tried to save a few quid cost you hour later when you have to re-do it

head will be checked on a flat table and skimmed if needed,

is the *special tool* just a long torx socket ?

marc think turning the boost up made the old one fail, nice easy fix tho so not to bad.

headgaskets arent to bad to do! it would pay to mark the cams ( i think there marks on them already tho) as you have to take them out to remove the head bolts,

if you need a headgasket i got two here, a oem one and a 2nd hand metal one

thanks ep_brad thats a great link,

mrkd5916 - thanks but ive just paid for one,

cheers for the info guys,

can anyone shed more light or show me pics on the "special tool" please as i dont realy wanna pay out for something im gonna use once :p

I think it's just an m9 spline socket from memory ( ebay for £8)

Head gasket's on it's way bud, posted it at lunchtime

Does anyone know if you can reuse the multi layer steel athena gaskets??