Lightweight alloy fuel tank

I am going to fabricate my own lightweight fuel tank, based on NightSpirits design below

P1080546.jpg

Its not much of a complicated design, i just need to find a alloy box that will allow the fuel pump to sit nicely in it and touch near the bottom to suck maximum fuel.

I need to know what adapter fittings are required to extend the fuel lines from the stock tank. Should make a massive weight saving doing this, the tank weighs about 1KG and the standard steel one about 10kg.

Once i have perfected the design i might start making them to order, seems no one does it for any of the starlet clubs and i think it would be a good addition for people who want to track their cars with ultimate weight loss ;)

What you think?

The tanks vary in price from what i have seen so far, i reckon i could make one up for about £80-£120 ish depending on what size one you needed. That would be for a polished alloy one with your own fuel pump cut in and fitted.

I have got a speed boat too and this evening its given me an idea, i might mimick the fuel storage system design from what they do at sea, i prefer it to the use of a ridgid can like the one shown, they use a thick plastic container like below, not to mention it weighs about 500grams

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-Yamaha-Outbo...=item4cf6257dd8

Great thing with this is that god forbid you did have a crash, even if this got unmounted and slung around the cabin, it wouldnt crack or break.

Just where it needs to be to in the boot for weight distabution, I've not gone that mad with my car but what price you think I'll cost

yer you would need to have baffles or at least foam fill it so the fuel doesnt slosh around on the track causing a lean out, and there is somewhere that does tanks that go in the tyre well actually, i cant remember where i seen them but it uses the standard tyre well and takes about the same amount of fuel as srtandard, but puts the weight at the back and still keeps it fairly low