Oh no i think i have been sold a duff engine!!

So i have finally put all the car back together today and before i went to start it, i thought it would be prudent to compression test it as it was the first opportunity i have had to do this since buying it from GT BitZ with the starter motor now hooked up.

The readings i got from it were

1. 100psi

2. 100psi

3. 153psi

4. 160psi

putting a small amount of oil in 1 and 2 resolved the compression issues and then it shot up to about 200

Now i havent tested it with a warm engine yet which i know can make a difference as the metal rings will expand causing more compression, but surely not to the extent it would remedy 50psi on 1 and 2!

I am so pissed off right now its unreal, the engine comes with a 3 month warrenty but what garages ever actually honour that, plus i have modified the crap out of it now so thats not an option.

Like i said then will a warm engine make that much difference, i cant do it right now as i need a new top rad hose :)

my mate bought a engine off some breakers place recently (i cant remember who now) when he got it i had a quick check over, crank seal was leaking quite badly. then when the both manifolds were removed the ports were covered in gunk and crap he was told when all engine are removed they are completely checked over ect. the guy took it back luckily.

if it was me i would only buy and engine off someone who was a long standing member or i knew the car it came out of or went for a drive in the car while it was still in it.

i bought a 106 gti engine a few years ago that was described as mint and only done 50k miles apparently. i fitted it and the clutch was siezed onto the flywheel, it was using loads of collant so i took the head off and it had a great big crack in it! so much for great condition, ended up getting another head completly rebuilt and ported and polished.

Yeah i got a rad hose now so just need to hook up the exhuast and fix an oil leak on the braided line for the turbo and i can start it.

GtBitz turns out are actually quite helpful!, really didnt expect this response to my email, which basically said i wasnt happy the engine rings on 1 and 2 were so low and i wanted some kind of reimbursement to repair

GTBitz email below

-----------------------------------

Hi Craig,

Sorry to hear about that but we only offer a 3 month (parts only) warranty if we had fitted the engine. I can confirm, and you can see from the amount of wear on the engine that it is a low mileage engine. Our warranty to you is on the start up. This engine will start up and run without any knocks, bangs and any sort of excess smoke.

Please remember that this is a used engine which is nearly 15 years old and if you are saying that the piston rings are a bit worn, then I have to take your word for it and would like to help you out only as a goodwill gesture.

However, you have to remember that we have sold you this engine with good faith and done you a deal on it. These are second hand engines mate so you can really expect them to be as good as new!!!

Here you have 2 choices:

1) Send us the engine back and we refund you the money.

2) If you are willing to do the job yourself, then we will give you some money back towards the piston rings. That way you have got an engine with brand new piston rings which will hopefully last you longer than any other used engine.

Please let me know what you think and we take it from there.

Yeh we've delt with gt bitz and the guy is sound as a pound just see if he has another engine the one I seen when I went were all really clean and the one we got was awesome turbo actually looked brand new.

FALSE ALARM, THANK HOLY FU*K

Warmed it up to normal temps and its sorted its self out and some how i have got an unbelievable 190 psi across all 4 cylinders, which is 5psi a cylinder more than my old one :)

Oh Yeahhh!!!!

Yeh we've delt with gt bitz and the guy is sound as a pound just see if he has another engine the one I seen when I went were all really clean and the one we got was awesome turbo actually looked brand new.

Oh my god i shit a brick this morning when i seen those results, its all in now

DSC01174.jpg

All i got to do is wait for my new civic radiator to turn up in the week and she will be back on the road for the first time since Trax!!

Get in!!!

i bet your over the moon :)

is it all fixed and on the road now?

You need to buy a compression tester, you can get one from halfords for about £30 or cheaper on the net, you basically remove all your spark plugs, screw the tester in the spark plug hole, then crank the engine over (take the king lead out) for about 10 secs, then the guage will give you a reading, 150psi is the minimum your looking for, anything higher indicates towards a better condition engine.

If you look on my build

http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/index....showtopic=32969

you can see the section on compression testing.

quote name='neilsmith' date='Apr 9 2011, 05:04 PM' post='541837']

Alright mate glad to hear all is well with your engine. How do you pressure test the engine as i would like to pressure test mine.

Cheers