I just copied and pasted this over from Toyota Owners Club Irl. Nearly finished now hopefully. Enjoy...!

I have a lot of work planned for the car over the next few weeks so said I'd start a build thread... I want everyone's help and opinions as I go, good or bad, so let me know... ;)

I've had a few Glanzas now but I finally found a good one that I liked... this is my 99 Glanza V when I first bought it...

glanz.jpg

glanz2.jpg

glanz3.jpg

The car needed quite a bit of tidying but I could see past all the bad points and most of it was an easy fix. The body was clean, the engine compression was very good when we pressure tested it, it wasn't smokey and handled better than my previous cars so decided this was the one if I wanted a big build... I'm planning a fully forged 5e build with maybe a TD05 turbo once it's run in.

I started by taking off the old Autobahn decat which had more holes than a sieve in it. Dunno why lads even bother with them on their cars. Off came the front tints (horrible job never want to do it again) and put the original cat back in, fitted new pads, made up new exhaust brackets, replaced the bald tyres with Uniroyals, fixed the indicator and got it through the NCT for 2 years.

I then took off the homemade straight through exhaust and crappy backbox and fitted a full straight through 5zigen Pro Racer exhaust and Blitz decat. A small piece of the centresection was cut out as there was a slight bore in it to deaden the noise. It's been replaced with a completely hollow pipe and now sounds very loud and raspy, especially for a turbo car.

100_0127.jpg

The next thing on the list was to lose the carbon. I had a carbon bonnet on my old car and didn't really like it. Although the bonnet on this was totally mint I still wanted to put it back to standard. Eventually I found a clean one still in original 040 white so took that and fitted it. I bought a plain bootlid aswel as the carbon duck spoiler is drilled into my own so didn't want my boot to be full of holes! Still don't know whether to change it or not though...

A full Recaro interior came up for sale so just had to have it aswel. It included front and back seats and door cards, which were all in excellent condition. So out came the old interior and fitted the new one. Much comfier than the standard seats.

100_0129.jpg

100_0140.jpg

Next I stripped out the old top mount intercooler, standard rad, air con, leads, strut brace and old rocker cover.

I fitted a new front mount intercooler, frount mounted air filter, Super Sequential dump valve, aftermarket TOM's heavy duty front strut brace painted in 040 Toyota Super White and a Civic rad...

100_0119.jpg

100_0121.jpg

also a polished rocker cover, blue oil catch can, blue TRD oil cap and blue Magnecor leads...

100_0122.jpg

I want to keep all the hoses blue but only had purple Samco ones that came with the Civic rad so will be changing those soon.

On went an 8" TRD sunstrip, some lads will hate it but I like it so it's staying.

The speakers in the car when I bought it were f*cked and the parcel shelf was full of holes so bought brand new Pioneer 6x9's, a new parcel shelf and finally got a set of the two black clips for the parcel shelf to stop it rattling. I pulled out the old silver Greddy turbo timer and fitted a neater Apexi turbo timer to the left of the steering wheel. Also new 4" speakers for under the dash and a driver's side wind deflector that it was missing...

100_0136.jpg

We also fitted 8000k HID's into the headlights and I'm looking to get the spots done too.

I went over the whole car with Autoglym tar remover, washed it, waxed it and got the interior valeted to clean it up a bit...

100_0139-2.jpg

100_0131-1.jpg

100_0134.jpg

100_0126.jpg

100_0133.jpg

100_0130.jpg

That's the car pretty much as it stands now with the following spec...

99 Glanza V, White

5zigen Pro Racer Full Exhaust System

Blitz Cast Decat

Front Mounted Intercooler

Frount Mounted Air Filter

Super Sequential Blow Off Valve

Civic Rad

Polished Rocker Cover

Blue Magnecor Leads

Blue Oil Catch Can

Blue TRD Oil Cap

KYB Shocks and Lowering Springs

Dimpled and Grooved Front Discs

Heavy Duty Front Strut Brace

15" White Rota Grids and Uniroyal Tyres

Apexi Neo

Apexi Turbo Timer

HKS Adjustable Actuator

HKS Fuel Cut Defender

Timex Boost Gauge

Timex Air/Fuel Gauge

White TRD Gear Knob (horrible... gone as soon as I find an original one!)

Pioneer 6x9's and Ripspeed CD/DVD Player

8000K HID Headlights

Carbon Culture Duck Spoiler

Genuine Toyota Wind Deflectors

Back 3 Windows Tinted

Alarm and Immobiliser

Now time to get going on the engine build... ;) I bought Spuddy's old cylinder head who flowed nearly 440BHP through it on his Starlet last year. The head is immaculate and is heavily machined. It's a fully reworked head... ported and polished, 3 angle valve job, chambers matched in cc's, exhaust ways deburred, uprated Cruisemetal valve springs, custom shims, 5efhe cams and OEM valve stem seals. Can't wait to fit it ;)

glanz7.jpg

glanz6.jpg

glanz5.jpg

glanz4.jpg

Also picked up a 5e 1.5 Cynos complete engine and gearbox for half nothing so happy days...

100_0150.jpg

100_0151.jpg

Picked up a few more bits now aswel...

A set of 550cc injectors off a Mazda RX-7. I won't be fitting these for a while til I up the boost and maybe go for a bigger turbo but they are a direct fit to the Glanza and hard to find. Got them at good money aswel.

100_0147.jpg

Decided to re drill the block and head and fit ARP main studs and head studs as they're stronger and hold more pressure than the bolts. Just after picking up the main studs and still waiting on the head studs. Also bought an Athena 1.2 steel head gasket. Was going to go thicker but the thicker you go the more lag I'll get so think the 1.2 should be plenty...

100_0144.jpg

And picked up a 4e CC Competition Clutch from East Coast Customs. It's a stage 4 6 puk clutch so should be more than able to hold big power. Looking forward to getting this in as the clutch in the car when I got it was on the verge of blowing to bits. The 4e clutch plate is slightly bigger than the 5e plate so wanted to use the 4e for the better grip. I'll need a 3e flywheel to connect them as the 3e flywheel has the right pattern to fit the 4e clutch to the 5e crank. Still don't know whether to just lighten a stock 3e flywheel or buy a proper lightened one though...?

100_0145.jpg

And finally sourced a set of 5efhe high lift cams. The intake cam is .8-1mm higher lift than standard and the duration is ever so slightly different. They should be a bit of a help until I decide to get custom spec cams at a later date.

100_0317-1.jpg

Another quick update...

My forged internals have arrived. 74.5mm Wiseco forged pistons with a -10cc dish, PEC forged conrods, ARP rod bolts and ACL bearings (mains, rods and thrust)

100_0227.jpg

100_0228.jpg

We have the engine out and the block is going for machining tomorrow...

100_0219.jpg

Also fitted a Whiteline adjustable panhard rod to the rear to help with the handling a bit. I fitted a new rear bumper aswel with the original factory splitter which improves the look of the back a bit and got a brand new Glanza badge for the front bumper.

Came across a mint OEM gearknob aswel so finally got rid of that tacky TRD one. Got a new plastic sorround for the cd player aswel because my old one had been cut for a double din so looked crap. It tidies up the dash nicely and has a handy tray aswel. You have to love granny spec starlets!

100_0229.jpg

Haven't updated in a while but the car is coming along nicely now. I sold the old bootlid and carbon duck spoiler and put it back to standard and also sold the neo as I am going for a full standalone ECU in the near future.

Today I fitted a Whiteline front anti roll bar to the front and have a set of Whiteline polybush engine mounts to go in with the new engine. These should really help keep the engine solid.

100_0241.jpg

Got a few more little bits like a 1 piece boot carpet to fit to the rear Recaro's as the original 98/99 spec boot carpet has the split for the seats to open. It needed a good clean but came up good in the end.

Engine wise the block is back from the machine shop so am hoping to have the engine finished by the weekend with a bit of luck. The block was bored, decked and honed to suit the oversized pistons and the block and head drilled and re-threaded to suit the head studs and main studs. Still waiting on a lightened steel flywheel so that might hold me up a bit.

While I've been waiting on the machining I've been putting together my turbo kit. Over the last two weeks I've bought a new mild steel manifold, downpipe, large turbo, 38mm external wastegate and the new type Apexi boost controller in black (the silver ones look gank). Need to rotate and weld the turbo but I won't be fitting this until I have over 1000 miles done on the new forged engine with a CT9 so have a bit of time yet. Can't wait to get it all in though

Cleaned the engine bay and decided that while I was doing it I may aswel do it once and do it right so I'm going to re spray the entire engine bay in 040 Toyota Super White and thoroughly clean all the hoses, cables etc so the bay is mint.

Also made a quick call to see how the block looked after the machining. The block has been bored, decked and honed...

Image0025-1.jpg

The rods and pistons balanced...

Image0024-1.jpg

And the block re-drilled and re-threaded to suit the new ARP head studs...

Image0026-1.jpg

Haven't updated in a while but have been kept busy and got some nice new parts for the car. The bottom end is now fully built. Have to try a few different sets of shims to make sure all the clearance is spot on.

The car itself is off getting a bit of paint. The wheels have had a full refurb and are now sprayed the same colour as the car. I'm also getting the engine bay tidied up and have a new genuine Toyota mid spoiler for the boot which has to be painted aswel.

I got the new turbo rotated and welded today so that's ready to go too.

I recently came across another set of Starlet fishnet Recaro's. They were cleaner than my old set plus they were 98/99 spec ones with the split rear seats so swapped them with my old set. I got some bolsters replaced, swapped over some of the back pieces as the Recaro logo was well worn on some and also replaced the two headrests which were torn. I will put up before and after pics in the next few days. So between the two sets I have now made one 100% totally mint set so I'm delighted.

This was the bolster's before they were restored...

100_0378.jpg

I will put up after pictures when I have them cleaned...

I bought a brand new short pipe for the front mount intercooler to come straight off the turbo down to the corner of the front mount. This greatly reduces the length and bends in the pipework and will help to reduce lag. I'm just waiting on a new blue silicone reducer elbow that Paul Roose is maing up especially for the car in Roose Motorsport.

100_0336.jpg

I received a full hose kit with high grip heavy duty clips this morning courtesy of Roose Motorsport. Highly recommend him he is very helpful over the phone and will do his level best to provide what you need.

100_0384.jpg

The low point... the diff lol. I was driven to drink after the money I spent on this and began to question my sanity aswel lol. Still feel like drowning my sorrows even now. Anyway picked up a brand new TRD mechanical diff. I won't say it was at handy money like most of my other stuff because it most definitely wasn't and in all honesty I don't think I can really afford it now looking back. I was going to go for the helical gear type diff as they aren't as clunky but after reading up on them I wasn't happy with the uneven power distribution to the wheels and the handling characteristics lads have described when driving with them. I wanted to do things once and do it right so wanted a brand new one. I would have had to buy a rebuild kit plus labour if I bought a 2nd hand plate diff. The TRD plate type diff will send power 50/50 to the wheels and should be spot on. They have to be rebuilt over time and can be a little clunky but I think that's a small price to pay for what should be a really good diff. Have to order New bearings from Toyota, get them machine pressed in and have the diff checked to see if it needs any preload before it goes into the box. What am i after getting myself into lol

100_0367.jpg

100_0368.jpg

I'm looking to keep the car as original as possible so picked up a set of original Toyota Glanza speakers for the rear parcel shelf. I'll fit these when I get the car back from paint. I'm on the lookout for and original Toyota radio/cd player to match too.

100_0364.jpg

Staying with the original stuff I finally found an OEM 3 point boot strut too...

100_0385.jpg

Managed to find an Original 98/99 spec Glanza cd player / radio so delighted with that and finally got the bracket for the back seats amd the split boot carpet for the 98 spec Recaros...

100_0432.jpg

After loads off searching got my hands on an original 98/99 spec Glanza radio/cd player from a member on here... cheers mate

100_0542.jpg

100_0541.jpg

Also got a few sets of original Glanza mats which I'm busy cleaning at the moment I'll post up pics tomorrow...

The engine is fully built and ready to go. Everything was fully cleaned using an oxidising kit to remove any rust and the block painted black with high temperature paint...

100_0433.jpg

100_0434.jpg

I also sanded down, prepped and painted other parts with several coats of very high temp black and high temp lacquer...

My finished manifold...

100_0425.jpg

My ct9 with high temp black and metal polish...

100_0428.jpg

100_0427.jpg

I masked off the decat and sprayed the flanges and brace to clean it up a bit. I then used metal polish on a machine buffer to bring up the stainless steel which was manky. It came up well...

100_0430.jpg

100_0431.jpg

The gearbox was also sprayed with high temp black and high temp lacquer

I'm using the 5e acoustic intake which has 8 runners. The whole thing was manky so took the whole thing apart and degreased everything. I'm doing a custom paint job on the intake you will see finished shortly. Nothing spectacular just thought it would be a nice touch, or it might look tacky as hell I won't know until I try lol.

100_0387.jpg

100_0391.jpg

100_0393.jpg

100_0394.jpg

I need to drill and weld some extra breather pipes into my rocker cover so the crankshaft seals don't blow with the power. I was rummaging through the shed and found this... jammy or what! The rocker cover will be repainted white and Supersonic Blue to match my hose kit so had to strip the old paint off...

100_0422.jpg

100_0423.jpg

As for the shell I want the whole car mint and original so replaced the passenger side tail light as it was chipped...

100_0395.jpg

100_0396.jpg

My new one...

100_0516.jpg

And also fitted an original Toyota boot spoiler... (note the mountain of parts in the back still to go in) lol

100_0439.jpg

Got the 15" Rota Grids fully refurbed and resprayed 040 Toyota Super White to match the car. They came up like brand new. Very, very happy with the painter and he is very cheap too. The same lad restord my old Recaros aswel so if anyone needs bits painted or seats done let me know and I'll give you his number.

100_0442.jpg

Also a pair of Whiteline polybush exhaust mounts...

100_0420.jpg

My coilovers have arrived...

BC coilovers with adjustable top mounts. Wanted a set that went really low on the back so went for these...

100_0515.jpg

100_0511.jpg

100_0510.jpg

Also NGK Iridium Spark plugs, heat range 8...

100_0512.jpg

More updates soon,

Browner.

WOW amazing build mate!

Love everything you have done so far, that carbon duck spoiler is rank gad you got rid of that, the OEM style is so much nicer.

Thats exactly how a white 98 spec V shoud look and it will go some aswell :p

Looking forward to further progress

Looks awesome mate! Should have kept the Carbon bonnet on her though.

Sweet Glanza though dude.

I hated the carbon bonnet I thought it looked cheap and tacky. I have the TRD carbon clock sorrounds aswel nice thing to have I wouldn't sell them but don't think I'd put them on my car either lol. I love all OEM stuff I've gone to a lot of hassle chasing standard parts but I think a standard looking Glanza with the Recaro fishnet's and full set of splitters is a lot rarer than a kitted Glanza.

Anyway I have a mint Varis carbon bonnet if I ever fancied a change. I might sell the bonnet or might spray it white and fit it what do yous think?

And yeah I bought the hot pipe off a lad who lives close to me he was selling the car so took some parts off him. I sold it in the end as it was too small and restrictive and the flanges wouldn't fit my chosen turbo