Best discs for road & track

My braking setup on the GT (1bar CT9) will be:

- Standard Calipers

- RedStuff Pads

- Braided brake lines

- Toyota DOT 5.1 Fluid

Just wondering what front discs to order. A lot of people go for the ebay drilled/grooved ones, I'm not not too fussed about all that, but I just want some which will be decent for road/fast road use but also discs that won't fade/crack on track under hard use

A few people have said just to get some new OEM discs rather than the drilled/grooved ones. What do you think guys?

Amjad

For track use i think any setup on standard calipers just wont be good enough and will fade, but for fast road deffo look into something like i have for sale mate, the EBC grooved & dimple Discs with the Yellow Stuff Pads, i loved mine but going Twinpots now as i plan for a few track days in the future :rolleyes:

Thanks but I'll be buying new, seen the RedStuffs and new CRN drilled/grooved discs going for £120ish on ebay

Surely standard sized discs can't be that bad? I've only ever had fade on my NA brakes and they're drilled/grooved with GreenStuffs

Yeah that's what I heard Georgie to go for just grooved over the drilled/grooved, just wondering because a few people recommend OEM discs too

I run on grooved discs on the front with green stuff pads atm.
Grooved I would go for.

But saying that I managed to fade the Wilwoods, so glad I got rid of my old set up :rolleyes:

Hmm might consider the grooved ones then...

You going for Redstuff pads Amjad? Ill just be running Redstuff with OEM disc's for the 15 min run @ Donnington

Yeah RedStuff have decent reviews and Keri @WMS recommends them too. I'm still unsure on the discs, think it was David Ashton and Enzo that recommend using OEM ones

either go for a standard vented disc or a grooved one with say no more than 6 grooves i`d avoid drilled ones.....im putting in redstuff pads when funds allow so go for them?

The answer you're looking for is 3G. Don't bother with the CRN discs, they are the stock ones (such as Blueprint OEM replacements) that have been grooved. I fitted a brand new paid to my old GT and I thought the old (battered) 3G discs performed better.

Yeah Asad if I was to get grooved it would be the ones with fewer grooves :rolleyes:

Idrees I saw this when you first posted and was put off 3g..? lol

Brake update - 3rd July 2009

Fitted some new brakes, some serious cracks in the old ones!

SDC12352.jpg

SDC12354.jpg

SDC12356.jpg

One brand new I wouldn't use again..

[SDC12357.jpg

On with the new..

SDC12359.jpg

SDC12368.jpg

CRN grooved discs with yellow stuff pads, £118 well spent on ebay, very fast delivery. Sometimes they do feel a little spongy, but they are still being bedded in so can't comment much further on them. Fitting wise they are excellent and easy to fit.

Would you still rate the 3g's? I have seen a few reports on 3Gs cracking but never really heard anything bad about CRN discs.

OEM for me if your sticking with the stock setup. The point in grooved discs is to allow gas/vapour between the pad and the disc to escape, can you really push the stock setup to those extreme's? I dont think so, way i see it less grooves, more surface area to brake with. I dont even think most proper performance brake setup's use grooves do Willwoods and such come with grooved disks?

When I had grooved they made a horrible noise when braking, cracked from where the grooves started and i dont think they look any good when rust gets in all the grooves. I find the OEM replacements a much better balance between daily driving and spirited driving.

I dont think the stock setup will ever be able to deal with hard driving, they fade very quickly, slam on from a ton and thats it, ive found this with both grooved and stock disks there just so small and thin. I do think though that the stock disks come back when pushed better than the grooved ones I had. The yellows and grooved I had always felt a bit glazed I never had good pedal feel with them, like they just didnt feel as if they were biting, stock set I think has a much better pedal feel. Ive even ditched performance pads and gone for ebc ultimax which are just stock replacements. Spot on from cold, no problems with sprited driving, die like the rest when hammered.