New Car Insurance Laws

Ok before i start im not a 12yo with a shitty 1.1 saxo that wants to learn to drift and wants to know how much it will cost to insure Glanza !

I just want to make you all aware of these New Car Insurance Laws and if you already know about them how are you combating them?

The new law basically states, that that regardless of whether or not your using your car or not, if its taxed it must be insured! My mx5 is taxed but stays on the drive till i want to drive it (essex arena, DWYB ect..) and then i insure it for the car for the weekend, when the insurance runs out it sits back on the drive till i want it again. Now the government is saying if there records have a car on there systems that is taxed but not insure there sending £100 fines out to the registered keepers!

i cant afford to insure my every day car (glanza) and my weekend drifter (mx5)

Direct Gov Link

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ownin...rance/DG_186696

its to stop people with cars driving them uninsured aint it , i heard about this from a copper ages ago

I understand that i mean no one wants to be hit buy an insured driver! What they should do is increase the penelty if your caught without insureance not just a slap on the wrist and a lil fine! the fine should be like £2000 and some points or somthing that way people would think twice about doing it!

As above, if its taxed but not insured you get a fine (I think). So best thing to do is SORN it when you don't use it.. You get your road tax back if you have a few months or so on it :)

Yea sorn motors are ok but niteryder your fucked if you dont have a drive or garage

your not allowed to leave a car uninsured on a public road or placeas it is already.

for example. if the handbrake failed and it hit another car. it was to be insured anyway.

how long does it take to remove a SORN notification?

and if you have 6 months tax, then notify it SORN, does the tax get cancelled? do you get refunded?

seems very complicated now

biig ky so your not insured during the week? so if someone had an accident into your car or it got set on fire by vandals. your screwed. or have i read that wrong. not sure on how to get round it. trailer it is all i can think of.

No mate you have read it wrong. My starlet is insured all year round its my every day booster, but ma weekend slag drifter is just for days at the pod and other drift practice days, I call up my insurance and tell them im driving the Mazda this weekend (the car is saved on my policy) insure it for £17.50 for the weekend, when the cars insurance runs out it sits back on my secure drive way with tax until the next session. Id rather pay 17quid a weekend, than close to a grand for a year when ill probably only drive it a handful of times. This has never been a problem with my insurance until now.

i meant ya slag drift isn't insured during the week. So if someone vandalised it you'd have to pay. As insurance wouldn't pay. Surely it'd be better to insure it. Then ya covered.

get ya mum to insure it for like 200 quid. U as named driver. Most insurance i spoke to don't charge for named drivers. Goes on the policy n main driver. It ain't frontin either because u only use it at weekends. May save the hassle.

For starters whoâ??s going to vandalise my car on my drive way! and its hardly about to spontaneously combust and start fire just sitting their! lol

Yes of course it would be better to insure it all year round but its just not financially feasible! Hence my original Post.