Cars just started making a weird noise before japfest argggh!

I will post a video up later on, but need some advice.

Rollin roaded the car yesterday and it made 201bhp, so i was like sweet, now i have started it today im getting a weird tractor like noise coming from behind the cam cover.

I have half taken it off and its got louder when i pulled it back so its definetly somthing in there, the noise is specefic to inside the cover and not from within the head, doesnt get any louder when i take oil cap off.

What pullies are in there and what could be making this bloody noise, when you rev it the noise increases with the RPM. I hope nothing is fucked this would be really bad timing!!

Gonna strip it again later on, its just another pain in my ass that i could be doing with out so close to Japfest!

could be something catching thats got stuck or something?

When you say cam cover, do you mean the actual cam cover or the cam pulley cover?

Theres nothing really under the cam cover that would give a tractor like noise? Unless theres something gone really wrong.

Whip the cam puley cover off and have a look in there.

Are you sure its not coming from the exhaust manifold?

Ok so need to get this sorted before japfest, taken the top cam cover off and its not coming from the two top pulleys, its coming from either the middle one (i think thats the tensioner) or possibly lower down so in the middle of getting the cover off that too.

Here is a video of it so far

Have a listen

http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp310/m...nt=MOV01279.mp4

Let me know what you think!

hope you get it sorted pal!!

does the car still run right ?

2 things that i would check are the tensioner and also the cam pully,

drop the bottom cover aswell and make sure nothing is rubbing/ stuck further down, it means you' have to take off the fan belts and pulley but you need to sort it because it dont sound good :s

as above get it all stripped out so you can see it all mate, might even be an idea to take the cambelt off and have a good feel and spin of the tensioners,

my last shit box astra stared making a wierd noise from the tensioners and 2 days later it shit itself ond the cambelt fell off and off to the scrappys it went!

Ok found exactly where the noise is coming from, can feel the vibration knocking behind the cover in that place and also make the noise stop moving the cover, what is behind where i explain in the 2nd vid, what ever is behind there is the culprit.

http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp310/m...nt=MOV01280.mp4

Taggy

Ok so need to get this sorted before japfest, taken the top cam cover off and its not coming from the two top pulleys, its coming from either the middle one (i think thats the tensioner) or possibly lower down so in the middle of getting the cover off that too.

Here is a video of it so far

Have a listen

http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp310/m...nt=MOV01279.mp4

Let me know what you think!

Well thats fucked then, options for repair, i havent stripped one out before, whats the process, can i get it done with engine in?, i got to get this done by Sunday!

oil pumps behind there mate :)
Well thats fucked then, options for repair, i havent stripped one out before, whats the process, can i get it done with engine in?, i got to get this done by Sunday!

never changed one mate but get that bottom cover off 1st and make sure its not just a tensioner!

Looking at the cover it seems a bit of a royal cahoont to get off, what do i need to strip off to get it off, looks like i need to take the crank pulley off to get it off??

never changed one mate but get that bottom cover off 1st and make sure its not just a tensioner!

Yep get the belts off and crank pulley, the bottom cover isnt bad to take off just see whats going on behind there.

Its not the cover just rattling is it? Because there is a bolt missing

Looking at the cover it seems a bit of a royal cahoont to get off, what do i need to strip off to get it off, looks like i need to take the crank pulley off to get it off??

alternator and power steering belts and the the bottom crank pulley! but they would need to come off to change anything anyway so get them off tonight and find the problem then you can get the parts tomoz!

I took the bolt out :), yeah will get it stripped tonight, does anyone know how to replace the oil pump if its that, why do i get the feeling this is going to be a bitch!!

alternator and power steering belts and the the bottom crank pulley! but they would need to come off to change anything anyway so get them off tonight and find the problem then you can get the parts tomoz!

Ok got all the belts off, started the car and double checked and still same noise just to rule auxiliary out. I am having a bit of trouble locking the engine so i can get the pulleys off. Where is the best place to lock it?

I took the bolt out :), yeah will get it stripped tonight, does anyone know how to replace the oil pump if its that, why do i get the feeling this is going to be a bitch!!