Bleeding brakes advice

I am looking to completly flush out my brake fluid lines and resevouir, brakes are very spongy after over heating the brakes numerous times on track.

I am just wondering the best way to do it, should i just open up all the bleed valves and just pump it all out, then fill it back up or should i just open one at a time and top up the resevour as i pump it out to avoid filling the entire system with air.

I just want to ensure i have got all the old fluid out as its contaminated with loads of air from boiling.

Cheers

Taggy

Get the resevoir 90% empty (pumping the fluid through the first caliper is fine) but NOT totally empty as it'll take a "gulp" of air if it gets too low.

Then fill it up with fresh fluid, this keeps mixing old/new to a minimum.

Then just bleed each caliper until the fluid coming through is fresh - sorted!

What keri said, or use a pressure bleeder. drain the fluid out of the resovoir, then top up with fresh and just open the rear bleed nipples, all the fluid will be coming out, wait a while, then tighten them up and repeat on the front. that should be a full change of fluid

• 2 weeks later...

I have bled the brakes twice now with a mate but im still get a softish pedeal, air is some how getting back in when im doing it.

I am going to get one of the pressure systems today, does anyone know a cheap effective one which will fit the starlet. I have seen this one from Halfrauds

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...yId_165727#dtab

but i have just realised that the cap on the system is just a rubber cover and not a screw on type, will this still work. If not which other one should i go and buy that i can get today!

Off to Pembrey tomorrow :D

when your bleeding them do you use a tube and bottle with abit of brake fluid in the bottom? putting the clear tube over the bleed nipple and the other end in the bottle IN the brake fluid to stop any air being sucked back into the system?

i did mine on sunday and theres no spongyness in them at all!

I have bought a one way valve system which goes onto the bleed nipple, i found the problem. For some reason the bleed nipples on the rear two callipers when you unscrew them half a turn, the fluid comes out of the nipple, but its also leaking out of the base of the nipple onto the calliper, so thats where the air is getting in, even though i have a tube on the nipple.

Think i will have it sorted now with this one way valve, i just need to get my mate to put positive pressure on the rear nipples and i can tighten em so no air can suck back in.

Bit of a pain but should be good :D

• 2 months later...

hey guys. yea according to my boyfriend your on the right lines. start furthest away from the master cylinder. dont worry about having the engine running. if you can try and remove as much fluid from the master cyl reservoir as possible. use a syringe or something to that effect. then put your new fluid in the empty reservoir. go the passenger side rear of the car and crack off the bleed nipple. (yes he said nipple) using a 8mm ring spanner and a piece of hose (vacuum hose maybe) submerge the other end of the hose into a container with brake fluid in it. get an assistant to press the brake pedal. when the pedal is fully depressed close the nipple. then get the assistant to lift their foot off the brake. then open the nipple again and ask the assistant to depress the pedal again. carry on doing this process until the fluid runs clear. dont forget to keep topping up the reservoir. carry on doing this for the remaining callipers working from the furthest away from the master cyl.

stick to this method and you should be fine. :p

hey guys. yea according to my boyfriend your on the right lines. start furthest away from the master cylinder. dont worry about having the engine running. if you can try and remove as much fluid from the master cyl reservoir as possible. use a syringe or something to that effect. then put your new fluid in the empty reservoir. go the passenger side rear of the car and crack off the bleed nipple. (yes he said nipple) using a 8mm ring spanner and a piece of hose (vacuum hose maybe) submerge the other end of the hose into a container with brake fluid in it. get an assistant to press the brake pedal. when the pedal is fully depressed close the nipple. then get the assistant to lift their foot off the brake. then open the nipple again and ask the assistant to depress the pedal again. carry on doing this process until the fluid runs clear. dont forget to keep topping up the reservoir. carry on doing this for the remaining callipers working from the furthest away from the master cyl.

stick to this method and you should be fine. :p

Tbh, i've found a 1 way valve to be the best way to bleed brakes. Use one every single time and get a solid pedal. Yet to do the starlet. Same routine, just got to make sure the nipple has a good seal in the caliper.

D