im seriously playing with the idea of buying some tein coilovers. plus there green so will match!

how easy are coilovers to fit, get set up correctly (and what will be involved) how are they height adjusted, damper adjusted and how easy/hard is it to adjust them right. if they are not set up right will they damage easy.

my shockers seem to be getting very spongey, so this seems the right time to buy some. also are the coilovers for n/a and glanzas the same?

i dont know much about coilovers so all info will be greatly appreciated.

thanks keiran.

Very easy to fit,half hr per shocker max,easy to adjust it's pretty self explanatory C spanners for the height and damping is usually a knob on top or bottom of the shocker.Settin up would be best done by a pro to get the best outa them. :lol:

im seriously playing with the idea of buying some tein coilovers. plus there green so will match!

how easy are coilovers to fit, get set up correctly (and what will be involved) how are they height adjusted, damper adjusted and how easy/hard is it to adjust them right. if they are not set up right will they damage easy.

my shockers seem to be getting very spongey, so this seems the right time to buy some. also are the coilovers for n/a and glanzas the same?

i dont know much about coilovers so all info will be greatly appreciated.

thanks keiran.

Yep as Paul said (in a bit of broken english :lol: )

They're fairly easy to fit, my bro and me did his on his first car without any real previous knowledge. The hardest part is taking the old shocks/springs off as they'll prob have seized nuts etc.

Height is adjusted by basically screwing a ring up/down a threaded coil which essentially alters how high/low the spring sits on the shocker.

The dampers are adjusted on the top of the shock or at the bottom (sometimes this way on the rear shocks) by a little knob. This basically opens different "channels" inside the shock for the gas/oil to pass through which gives it different rebound properties.

cool. so its a straight fit. and then you just choose your ride height and damping and make sure its the same on all 4. i thought there would be more involved.

thanks lads.

are they n/a / glanza interchangeable?

coilys are the easiest type of shock to fit, as you dont have to compress springs, swap etc..

half hour each corner taking it slowly :lol:

adjusting the height is preferance.. fit them and adjust to the height you like.. then set the damping pressures and rebound to suit...

make sure to get the castor/camber and toe set up by the professionals though matey, itll make a world of difference..

get some extreme camber going on :D make her squat!

Very easy job (much easier than just changing springs etc)

Before you put the coilys on the car you can adjust them all to the same ride height (dont set them too low as it may be too low when you drop the car down off the jack)

Take out the old knackered shocks and put the nice new coilys on, put the wheels back on and drop it it down off the jacks;

Once its on a nice even surface you can then see how high/low it is and re-adjust it to suit your style. (Persoanlly i would set them at the lowest setting, saves re-setting them :D )

As for the damping just adjust all the knobs on the top anticlockwise first tajke it for a drive and then gradually adjust them wether you want the softer/stiffer.

Easy enough job to do yourself :lol:

Coilovers are not progressive like lowering springs so they will be pretty hard all the time mate, not matter what setting you have them on.

They also have nothing to rebound on so will recoil and make the car bounce a little rather than taking the bump/force into the damper like on a normal shock, worse so on uneven roads.

They will be a nightmare on a road full of potholes as well as stony lanes. People say they are harsh because they are bumpy and uncomfortable, if you want suspension that you can take advantage of and take to the limit then coilovers are for you as well being able to adjust all you want. They do take bumps much harder tho and you get more feedback from the road, can be a good and bad thing.

They are bearable Keirz, some harsher than others mainly due to higher spring rates more suited to the track, most people go for 4kg Front 4Kg Rear, mine are 4kg Front and 6kg Rear but everybody's tolerance are different :lol: People with demand for the track want even harder spring rates, trust me...

There is hardly any body roll mate unless you corner very very hard that you oversteer or really push it, much much better than the standard suspension where you can roll or slip either the front or the rear, body roll is what you want to get rid of in the first place. Coilovers are made to take shit and really come into their own when abused round corners (mine do anyway) :lol: Thats the whole point of them.

With additional suspension mods, you will not have any body roll unless cornering more than 90mph or in the wet, may depend on your driving style too. Uprated/additional front and rear anti roll bars will help eliminate the body roll further,

What you want to do is kindly ask a fellow starlet owner with coilovers near you that you know to get a spin in their car :lol:

Hope that helps coming from an n/a perspective bud.

Joz

You shouldnt see much body roll IF ANY i dont anyway!!! :lol::lol:

Ive been told by mates what mine goes round corners like and brings a smile to my face when they tell me :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

thanks. i dont mind a bit of a rough ride. its just at the min i go over a speed bump and will still be bouncing half a mile down the road! and at high speed cornering it sways around alot.

i have found a place near mine that do the laser allignment system so getting all that sorted shouldnt be too bad and fitting will be done by my cousin at hi-q.

i just dont want to spend a hell of alot of money to be disapointed if you know what i mean, but they can always be sold on again.

there isnt any other starlet owners near me really at all. and the couple who are dont have coilovers so cant really get feel of them.

i was considering d2s, but would prefer the teins. theres not much difference in price either and i assume tein is a better named quality brand. i really dont know which to go for as i have heard good reveiws on d2s. im getting a little indecisive now.

i was considering d2s, but would prefer the teins. theres not much difference in price either and i assume tein is a better named quality brand. i really dont know which to go for as i have heard good reveiws on d2s. im getting a little indecisive now.

Someones selling front teins in TGTT

Id stick to D2's mate not being biased or anything but because the guy selling the teins just had a bill of £150 just for one leg!!!! :lol:

Oh and they do tend to go pop quite alot

But i know how cool teins would look on your ride but its your choice mate :lol: