CT9 on Diesel Starlet

Me and my bro are toying with the Idea of putting the CT9 i removed from my Glanza onto our Diesel Starlet. We will only be running like .2 or .3 bar.

I've got the fueling aspect of things sorted. Just confused with Water/Oil Lines.

Now i know its not of most importance to have water lines, So we can do without that. But i am confused with the Oil side of things. Where would i connect oil pipes too and how do i go about making a hole in the sump?.

Also the turbo would be mounted on the back of the engine, Not the front.

• 2 weeks later...

Any progress with this?

The CT9 is about the same size as the GT15 on my Rover 2.0 diesel and that comes on boost very very early so you shouldn't have too much lag on the 1.5.

How do you adjust the fuelling on these is it a mechanical pump? As it's a non turbo I would imagine it doesn't have anything such as a boost compensator so I guess you only have a max fuel adjustment?

You could easily run the turbo at a fair bit more than 0.3 bar but it would probably be quite smokey off-boost.

Very interested to see how this turns out.

Edit: Just did a quick search and there was actually a turbo version of this engine in some other Toyotas, with 66bhp, (non turbo has 54bhp). With a CT9 and enough fuel you could probably get over 75bhp (matching a 4EFE). Might be worth getting a fuel pump off a turbo model if they are different.

It is a mechanical pump and i have allready turned up a hint so it can atleast stay with traffic, But still struggles on hills allot. I will be doing this slowly as i want to get it perfect first time round. Waiting for a bit of £££ so i can park the car up and start working on it as it is used daily at the moment.

I am little confused with the oil pipes as the manifold on this is on the back, so the turbo will be too. But this means loooong pipes. I am yet to examine the manifolds to see if i can get one made up or have to have it welded to this one lol. This all depends on how much spare cash i have which is why i want to wait and save up, should i run into problems.

How much boost am i able to run with no intercooler?

For the oil return I think you'll need to either drill and tap the sump or drill a hole and weld a nipple thing on. Or get a sump off a 1N-T.

Personally I'd run an intercooler on it, even if it's just a standard 4EFTE top mount bodged to the front of the car as a sort of mock FMIC, this will allow for more boost and a bit more power but if you didn't want to bother then just run a small amount of boost and you'll be fine (obviously with less power) and considering the price you could get an intercooler for I'd do it.

Does it have a cat? Get rid of it if it has one.

I'd say with an intercooler you could potentially get near 100bhp depending on the limitations of the pump.

Diesels naturally run more boost than petrols as I said before my GT15 is about the same size as a CT9 and that puts out about 1 bar standard.

id run a braided oil line from the oil filter houseing (probs need a 4efte one, ad for water use a 4efte thermo housing so you can run the water lines off it, im not sure what engine the 1.5d is? is it a 5e or a different engine code? if its a version of a 5e then 4efte parts will fit anyway, as in oil filter housing, thermo housing and exhuast mani. chuck some more info on the engine up, block code ect and maybe can shed more light on how to feed the turbo. as far as oil return id get a 4efte sump remove the oil return spout and drill and tap/spot wed to the rear of you sump as its just a return theres nothing special about it so it doesnt mater where it sits on the sump tbh. as your only running small boost and no fmic maybe look at a ct12 off the desil toyotas, think its of the delicia.

Not meaning to pick nits but just a few things -

It doesn't matter where the oil return goes aslong as it's reasonably high up on the sump as it's only gravity fed so if it's too low down in the sump the oil will just back up inside the pipe.

The engine code is 1N, it's a 1.5 diesel, not related to the E series.

And it might be worth saying the 2.2 diesel Estima/Lucida/Emina (Jap version of the Previa people carrier) uses a CT9.

Isn't

The diesel a N engine or something surely the manifold fitting would be different.

Yeah you'd need an adapter plate aswell as a downpipe.

lol alright split hairs why dont you, youknow what i meant. and thats what i was asking lol what the engine was, as its not an e series then yea would be a mani issue, but could have the oem one re fabricated to take it. if the 4e thermo housing wont fit then find another n series that is turbo'ed and try some trila and error on the housings.

Didn't mean to come accross as a dick lol but better to clear it up incase it's put in the wrong place and fucks his turbo up. :p

There is a turbo N series but no idea how hard they are to find as these diesel Starlets seem quite rare.

Didn't mean to come accross as a dick lol but better to clear it up incase it's put in the wrong place and fucks his turbo up. :)

There is a turbo N series but no idea how hard they are to find as these diesel Starlets seem quite rare.

naaa you dont come across as a dick dude :) i knew what ya meant.

@Raz: go to toyota if theres a td version then there will be a mini, oil housing and thermo housing too :) with some luck you will be able to order what you need, probs a sump too :p