Bought one off ebay for £20 inc p+p should be here in the next few days, just wondering whats the best way to fit it? should i buy a new gasket for it just to be safe? never really done much work on cars before apart from putting my air filter on but that was a peice off piss. just wondering if a novice like me would be able to do it and not fuck up my engine :p also ive heard it makes it a bit faster, anyone whos fitted them whats it like to drive? is it much faster, just want to know what its generally like :) Thanks.

There's millions of topics on this buddy, use the search tool

You'll get better responsiveness, better noise and it'll be a bit quicker! Defo worth getting new gaskets for both sides and get a longer vacuum hose for the MAP sensor (windscreen washer tubing worked for me)

Like I said have a search it's been asked soooo many times

you dont need the inlet to engine gasket it can be reused.....the throttle body one is the one to watch out for sometimes your lucky if your patient you can peel it off and reuse it if not just use some instant gasket/get a new seal

if you have a tool set youll be ok, just take your time..a quick guide for you

air box + pipe off

disconnect the -ve battery terminal

disconnect the earth on the back of the inlet

remove the map sensor pipe + brake servo pipe from the back

4x 12mm nuts off the throttle body....save the gasket if not clean it off and also give your throttle body a wipe down also remove the throttle cable

undo the top front brace 2x 10mm? bolt/nut

i usually disconnect the injectors and take the fuel rail off, i find it easier some dont but its up to you tbh.....just dont lose the seals for the injectors also disconnect the small vac pipe for the fuel pressure regulator........pull the fuel rail to the right handside of the bay

iirc its 14/12mm for the 8? inlet nuts/bolts work your way round the middle one will be a biatch to do use a long reach spanner if not use what ever you can to get it off

then you want to undo the bottom brace for the manifold (i do this from underneath) remove it totally from the engine bay and tie clip the loom for the lambda sensor somewhere safe...you wont be using this again

bang the new manifold on.....you`ll need some longer vac pipe for the MAP sensor (can just let it hang short for the time being) but make sure you hook it up.....connect the fuel regulator vac pipe and finally bore the earth wire out and bolt it to the inlet....adjust the throttle cable ensuring the car idles and the pedal is ok then put a tie clip on the throttle cable where the rubber bung is (youll know what i mean)

I also left the injectors in, the 5 main bolts on the manifold are awkward but aslong as your ratchet set has extentions and cv joint thing on it then you'll be fine.

The first time I changed the manifold on a Starlet it took me a whole afternoon - now I can do it in an hour easily.

It's not a hard job, just awkward, I've always done it from the top of the engine bay with the fuel rail and injectors in place, no need to get underneath or take too much off.

you dont need the inlet to engine gasket it can be reused.....the throttle body one is the one to watch out for sometimes your lucky if your patient you can peel it off and reuse it if not just use some instant gasket/get a new seal

if you have a tool set youll be ok, just take your time..a quick guide for you

air box + pipe off

disconnect the -ve battery terminal

disconnect the earth on the back of the inlet

remove the map sensor pipe + brake servo pipe from the back

4x 12mm nuts off the throttle body....save the gasket if not clean it off and also give your throttle body a wipe down also remove the throttle cable

undo the top front brace 2x 10mm? bolt/nut

i usually disconnect the injectors and take the fuel rail off, i find it easier some dont but its up to you tbh.....just dont lose the seals for the injectors also disconnect the small vac pipe for the fuel pressure regulator........pull the fuel rail to the right handside of the bay

iirc its 14/12mm for the 8? inlet nuts/bolts work your way round the middle one will be a biatch to do use a long reach spanner if not use what ever you can to get it off

then you want to undo the bottom brace for the manifold (i do this from underneath) remove it totally from the engine bay and tie clip the loom for the lambda sensor somewhere safe...you wont be using this again

bang the new manifold on.....you`ll need some longer vac pipe for the MAP sensor (can just let it hang short for the time being) but make sure you hook it up.....connect the fuel regulator vac pipe and finally bore the earth wire out and bolt it to the inlet....adjust the throttle cable ensuring the car idles and the pedal is ok then put a tie clip on the throttle cable where the rubber bung is (youll know what i mean)

This is very helpfull i cant wait to give it a go now. yeah ive got a full rachet set so i should be fine. does anyone have any idea where i can get the gaskets? id rather be safe than sorry because if something happens when im taking it off ill have to just wait days for them to come in the post and i need to drive my car :p also does the lambda sensor go back in or are you just on about the loom for it? because if it didnt go in that would effect the immissions in the mot wouldent it?

Thanks so much for this though i feel alot more confident in fitting it now :p