Powerflex rear axle bushes

So I finally got round to looking at fitting the powerflex bushes to my glanza, now I expected them to be too big as above but it's not quite as straight forward as just turning the diameter of the bush down slightly;

First up the bushes measure basically exactly the same outer diameter as the metal sleeve which the standard bushes fit in:

IMG_0583.jpg

So as mentioned above they would fit within the small flange on the axle, however I still think this is not a good idea with the flange being so narrow the load is not being spread across the bush.

So the OD of the powerflex bush is:

IMG_0585.jpg

56mm

ID of the metal sleeve is:

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

About 48.5mm.

So turning the bush down to 49mm would make it a nice interference fit.

But on further inspection the width of the sleeve differs to that of the bush between the lips, this will explain it better;

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

So if the bush was fitted with just the OD turned down there would be a nasty gap between the two halves of the bush giving it room to flex;

IMG_0599.jpg

Plus the bush would stick out too far to fit in the chassis mounts.

Therefore each halve will need to be turned down to an OD of 49mm for a length of 22mm, which may hopefully still leave a small lip on the edge of the bush to help locate it and stop the axle having the possibility to move across the bush.

I've written this mostly so I remember what I need to get done and once I have will post up here how it goes. :)

Boring stuff over you can laugh at the use of the words bush, flange and lips whilst trying to write something informative! :p

No no no...

you are missing something, the total width of the bush and the mounting position.

Oem and powerflex bushes are both 60mm in width so if you want to turn the bush down to fit in the ring you must also grind the sides of the ring about 3mm to fit the bush correctly into the mounting position.

To fit mine i took measurements from old bush, took the ring out, made two new rings and weld them in the axle and now is perfect. Here are some photos to show you:

shxS5.jpg

9YLy0.jpg

K0TR0.jpg

That would be the best way to do it -but I can't weld! Very tidy job you've made of it though and I wish my car was so clean underneath, the UK weather/salty roads is awful for cars. :(

I know the overall width would be too big if I just turned the OD - that's what I mention after the last photo. I was going to get the whole diameter that sits in the ring turned down to suit and remove a bit of the tapered lip too, I'm not sure if it will leave a lip though but it's maybe not completely necessary.

I have also contacted powerflex and they may have another bush which would fit straight in but I'm trying to sort a deal with them!

Edited by WallaceGlanza
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I contacted poweflex about this as I said and on Friday I got a sample kit through to trial fit, which I did and fit they do...

Firstly comparison of the two bushes, GT on the right glanza on the left:

IMG_0935.jpg

A more obvious comparison:

IMG_0942.jpg

And bushes fitted:

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

They fit perfectly, nice and tight but the axle still pivots freely - no road test yet though and there won't be for a few weeks as the car has many bits missing!

Powerflex should now be putting these into production for the glanza soon. :)

Edited by WallaceGlanza