ok guys, i think a few of you are aware of my 98 glanza v's down on power situation, but for those who dont know, here goes:

shortly after buying my glanza i drove a 97 glanza which was at the importers where i bought the car from, (the reason i drove it was because i wanted its suspension) it felt way faster and pulled much harder than my v, so i had a look and it turned out to be as standard as mine, ecu was standard, no decat ect.

after that i heard that the 98-99 v had a restricted ecu, so i bought a 96 ecu fitted it and it made no difference even after letting the car reset.

i have been trying things out and replacing parts in an attempt to find out the problem.

i get very little wheelspin out of first gear when the clutch is fully engaged and none out of second unless im turning the wheel (no lsd). whereas glanza neil's car gets nothing but wheelspin out of first and some in second!

the thing that has made me think that its still down on power is the fact that i had a bit of a drag with a 1.8 sri corsa c, and it was pulling away from me! even in second.

surely i must have had the edge on him? geo thinks so and glanza neil on here used to have one and he says the glanza is much faster!

ive fitted a manual boost controller currently running .8 bar, boost guage, new clutch, new dizzy cap and rotor arm, new denso genuine toyota plugs, gutted the cat, and fitted a custom 2 1/4 inch straight thru to the rear can exhaust system, all of which has improved it slightly but not as much as i thought.

the car ticks over nicely, drinks not much oil, doesnt smoke, has done 66k and doesnt boost creep.

does anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be?

or what i can try, im gonna get it compression tested in the week and it'll be rolling roaded next month if all goes well, so if i dont find the problem maybe they can tell me.

gimme some suggestions lads.

unless its internal, no. checked all hoses off the intake mani,

ive had the boostpipe off and cleaned, both tmic hoses have been replaced and ive replaced both sets of clips for heavier duty ones, throttlebody gasket is ok.

it holds at a steady .8 bar so i dont think its leaking as it was leaking when i first got it which i sorted.

It's very hard to compare glanza's, i mean, SiCaln has a 98 spec one, have you tried asking him how his one is? My is boosting a steady 0.8bar but it doesnt pull as well on 3rd gear up, but1st and 2nd are excellent.

Alright mate.

If your not leaking boost off, or blowing exhaust gases..And it idles and runs smoothly , i dont honestly know.

Honestly i think youre going to have to have it rolling roaded, Compression test wont tell you much other than worn rings etc, which you would know any way because it would piss smoke.

Make sure you get an air/fuel readout on the rolling road.

If its leaning it may not pull as hard.. but you would feel it detting surely.

This is a strange one..

Even thou the Glanza you drove was more or less stock, it still could of had the 1st-2nd boost restriction removed, which makes it pull better and boosts a couple of PSI more.

Try it on yours.

Ever considered it could be engine age?

Have you tried putting in something like Ametech engine restorer?

www.ametech.co.uk

(can't be bothered to explain how it works)

Have just ordered 500ml of it for the Paseo as it feels like it's missing a bit of kick.

That plus an 11 year old engine probably has a fair amount of wear :p

a bottle of wonder fluid wont change the engine entirely mikey, might clear some carbon deposits but certainly aint gonna create a transformation :p

plus, his glanza is newer than most of ours being a 98 model, so if anyone needs it, its the 96 and earlier models :p

you gonna be at any meets this year scutch? i'd be happy to let you test mine and vise versa to see if there is in fact a problem.

a bottle of wonder fluid wont change the engine entirely mikey, might clear some carbon deposits but certainly aint gonna create a transformation :p

plus, his glanza is newer than most of ours being a 98 model, so if anyone needs it, its the 96 and earlier models :p

you gonna be at any meets this year scutch? i'd be happy to let you test mine and vise versa to see if there is in fact a problem.

yeah, i figured that being a newer engine it should be in better nick!

possibly, was coming to jae, but it looks like i have holiday booked over it... what other meets are gonna be about this year?

@ rick: dunno if a cracked wastegate would cause that... maybe, i havent had the turbo off to check! anyone got any ideas? it holds .8 bar perfectly or if its warm outside it sits at .75

sorry bud, i run it on esso super with a bottle of octane boost. i also ran it on v power for a while but i didnt see a massive difference apart from mpg.

i have a lamda on my spare cat, but its from a gt... are the connections the same??

sorry bud, i run it on esso super with a bottle of octane boost. i also ran it on v power for a while but i didnt see a massive difference apart from mpg.

i have a lamda on my spare cat, but its from a gt... are the connections the same??

Yup, exactly the same. The lamda could well be shot.