Im trying a full tank of this to see what its like, filled her up this morning, can't say anything yet as its still too early.

I heard Shell Optimax is the daddy and there is also BP Ultimate 102 Unleaded too. None of either those two near me tho.

Im talking more of the BP Ultimate Unleaded tho, anybody use it and what are their thoughts?

Joz

plus, unless yours has been mapped for 97ron+ (if its a UK model, it'll be 95ron mapped, anything sold in UK market is) then you won't notice a difference at all.

The fuel itself might be a little cleaner, but it won't make a difference. I use Esso Supreme Unleaded (97ron) as in my opinion it actually makes the car behave better than V power, it just feels 'smoother' to me.

Vpower is 99RON

Tesco99 is 99RON (kinda obvious that one!)

BP ultimate is 97RON

BP Ultimate 102 is 102RON (but only available in 9 garages in the UK!!)

I use Vpower! The nearest garage is 8mi from me though :)

Would Tesco99 be the next best thing then if you wanted to run the highest possible ron fuel?

I haven't heard much about it. There is a Tesco near me but not sure it has a petrol station.

As for being mapped for higher ron fuel well... :)

Joz

From what I've read Tesco 99 is ok -- You have to remember though Higher RON is only for knock protection, nothing much else! VPower and the likes advertise better fuel economy because the add detergents and stuff to clean out your engine.

Ive tried quite a few of the high octane fuels. I did notice a bit of extra power with each but you mainly notice the MPG. They all last quite a bit longer than standard fuel.

I'll cite this as it words it better than I could:

Octane rating has no direct impact on the deflagration (burn) of the air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber. Other properties of gasoline and engine design account for the manner at which deflagration takes place. In other words, the flame speed of a normally ignited mixture is not directly connected to octane rating. Deflagration is the type of combustion that constitues the normal burn. Detonation is a different type of combustion and this is to be avoided in spark ignited gasoline engines. Octane rating is a measure of detonation resistance, not deflagration characteristics.

It might seem odd that fuels with higher octane ratings explode less easily, yet are popularly thought of as more powerful. The misunderstanding is caused by confusing the ability of the fuel to resist compression detonation as opposed to the ability of the fuel to burn (combustion). However, premium grades of petrol often contain more energy per litre due to the composition of the fuel as well as increased octane.

A common myth amongst petrol consumers is that adding a higher octane fuel to a vehicle's engine will increase its performance and/or lessen its fuel consumption; this is falseâ??engines perform best when using fuel with the octane rating they were designed for and any increase in performance by using a fuel with a different octane rating is minimal or even imaginary.

Also (mainly for the people running turbo engines) oil vapour reduces the octane number (and hence knock resistance) of fuel so if you're finding excess amounts of oil in the intake, beware of running high boost!

mikey - no, you wont notice a difference, as yours is a UKDM model, meaning it'll be mapped for 95RON fuel.

our imports are actually mapped for around 100-105RON, i'm happy to use 96RON though to be honest, its not caused me any problems yet and toyota's tend to be ok with it.

Impreza's shit their pants if you use crap fuel, work it on 95RON and it wont last long at all, they really CRAVE stuff alot higher, for some reason they're far more sensitive than others.

ye no need wasting it where you dont need to, unless its just like, an odd fetish :)

you could always try it out, just make sure you bang a few tanks of the 97ron+ stuff in (it does take a few good FULL tanks to take effect) and see what happens (after resetting the ECU), even then though it may be minimal and the only way to know the actual difference would be to slap it on rollers or to go back to a few full tanks of the lower RON stuff, but at the end of the day, if its perfectly safe on the lower stuff (its all gonna be relatively clean, lets be honest) then there shouldn't be a problem.

ive only used v power in the lude since ive had it.

would like to try a few tanks of the bp ultimate 102 when i pass a garage selling it somewhere in the uk lol

just reading about what someone said above about oiul in the intake... i cleaned the butterfly and housing on mine at the weekend after experiencing dodgy idle. i noticed a build up of oil just inside the inlet mani aswell so cleaned that out... would there be a problem if the oil builds up again too soon. (bearingin in mind the inlet prob has never been cleaned before)

i only use bp ultimate. i dont think you benifit from the higher octane that much it is the other additives that make the car feel better. running this fuel every time ensures that my injectors and stuff stay cleaned out. and after a few tanks you should see an improvment as i did. and it does seem to last longer as well.

my dads lexus was drinking fuel alot, he took it to lexus to see if there was a problem and they told him to run it on ultimate to help with the mpg.

I use tesco 99 probably 95% of the time as i get clubcard points :) Theres a BP station 2 mins down the road from me but i prefer tesco's stuff because it gets replenished sooner and so is fresher fuel.