Oil breather Burning and smoking

Hi there, i have just bought an ep91 glanza and it has about half a meter of pipe running off the rocker breather onto a filter.

under any revs at all and even on tick over the filter is chucking out a lot of smoke and oil is dripping off the filter and being sprayed around the engine bay under boost.

where is this pipe ment to be plummed to? or is it a bigger mechanical issue?

i have tried a catch can and that just fills with oil and the breather still smokes.

any help is massivly apprechiated!

I have two oil breathers on myn 1 sitin on my rocket cover which it quite loose an i dun like the idea of that an i have a nother under neath me intercooler with pipe an oil breather on the end siting in my engine bay is ther realy need for me 2 have 2 ?

ive owned it for 3 days now, and the filter ran along the front towards the drivers side headlight, there wasnt any excessive burning. i bought it from wales and i live in newcastle i belive whatever problem it is happened on the 380 odd mile drive home

its got the td04 turbo and map. running 1.0 bar. it made it back from wales no problem and even now the engine has no horible noise and isnt kicking out any smoke from the exhaust, its just the breather pipe issue, how much would piston rings set me back? considering getting it forged

and galdmorgan? near cardiff

if the rings have gone do i have to replace to pistons too or is it just reccomended to replace them?

also what figures should i be looking for on a compression test?

thanks for the help, first starlet fucked after 3 days -.- not best pleased but these things happen haha

glamorgan? :) haha

if you can afford it, id go forged pistons, but that means have the block re-honed, although if you do go standard again, you'll probably still need them re-honed because the ringlands will have scratched it if it is them

ooooo this is sounding expensive, the horrible thing is the engine runs fine, pulls briliantly, its just the oil pissing out the breather, dosent make any horrible or funny noises. what a ball ache!

Sounds like excessive blow by to me which indicates rings or cracked piston. Compression test and a cylinder leakage test are your best bet. Also you can run forged pistons on standard rods. Nothing wrong with that. The pistons crack because they are receiving all the heat and basically a explosion every 2 turns of the crank.

when replacing rings anyway they all need ''gapping'' to ensure a good seal and give you good compression. if your changing rings and find a piston cracked then obviously a new piston is needed. so basicaslly the same ammount of work is needed to put a forged piston in as there is a standard one. the common thing people do is change the rods too. hence '' forging the engine''. i could go on all day about forging engines etc, but my advice to you is if you want a quick cheap repair put a standard piston back in. if you want to go forged for more peace of mind then it will be costly.

you running a td04 at a bar? seems to me that you have gone past the peace of mind stage and could do with it being forged. these engines were designed for a safe around 140bhp. if your adding another 100bhp on top then things are likely to go wrong sooner than later. my opinion obviously.

Any excessive vapour coming from your rocker breather or it blowing oil is a major sign to say the ringlands have failed on 1 or more pistons. It happened to me recently and to be honest its a big job to strip it, although you can check it with the engine still in the bay. If it has gone then its an engine out job as you will need to replace the pistons (you can get them for peanuts on here) and you may as well stick new rings on while its apart. You will also need to deglaze your bores for the new rings to bed in, which is why it needs to come out :(

The car can still run perfectly with this problem, but if you compression test it, i bet my balls its low on one of them.

Here check out this video of me taking mine apart, you have the same problem.

[media]http://youtu.be/87J3eKxsE_w

the damage

[media]http://youtu.be/Gdk4A7ryi-k

Good luck mate, but i would take the car back and tell the basdard hes sold you a dud!

absolutly spot on, thats the exact same issuse as mine. baaaals! haha, ahh well time to bite the bullet! did you replace with standard pistons or put forged ones in? ive got a mate who owns a garage so ill get it compression tested asap. should be able to rent out one of his ramps to get the job done too.

in your opinion is it safe to drive about 2 miles to work and back each day? or will that just cause more damage?

cheers for that though, ill expect the same damage come the day it gets taken apart