Pritty much any of the VF series turbos are better than the TD series, the TD series i.e TD04/TD05 are the older generation turbos which were first released when Scoobies started coming on the scene.

They were later replaced with the VF series which provided much better spool times and peak power. Although the TD series for this reason are much cheaper from about £50-£90 as opposed to about £250+ for teh VF series turbos.

Have a read here

/>http://www.scoobytuner.com/tuning/?tSfID1=4&tuningID=43

If you can afford it get your self a VF24 if not go for a TD04, a TD04 on a 4e engine will perform great at 1 bar, lag is about 4000rpm, TD05 will be nearer to 5000rpm

Edited by Taggy

Ah Right cheers for the info mate, well I'm currently running a td04 on a forged n cammed 4e 281bhp at 1.4bar! Plans are to get a custom inlet Mani and bigger turbo to try get 300+bhp but without turning it in to a lag monster so which turbo do u think would be the best for this?

VF series would deffo be an improvement on TD04 however the ultimate turbo would be a garreth GT28 or GT30 as u may be aware, you'll make well over 300bhp its just the cost lol

*Garret

*garrett ;)

My bad lol cant spell it because i cant afford it !

i know mate but looking for a turbo that will fit my current set-up really

Then look into VF's. I lo

I loOked into it myself theres a good range out there such as VF22/28/34/35. In the end i just picked up a cheap TD05 for my 5E if i het bord in the future im going to save for a GT30 and add an inlet and 3" exhaust

If your running a standard engine at 1bar with td04 and you swap to a vf 22/28 would it be as safe ??

are the vf series more powerfull so it would blow something ?????

well I'm currently running a td04 on a forged n cammed 4e 281bhp at 1.4bar!

The VF series are just ballbearing versions of the TD series with a few minor differences. The VF series will flow more than the TD series.

I'd have thought at the same boost pressure it would be safe as long as it's fuelled properly. Eg CT9 at one bar puts out a lot more heat than TD04 at 1 bar so TD04 is safer?

Not really Amjad, because the TD04 will flow more air (CFM) than a ct9 at 1 bar. So to add to the extra air, extra fuel will need to be added to compensate for the change.

^ I think so mate, but i reckon vf35 is more laggy than td04?

ye im just thinking would it be ok to swap my td04 for a vf 22/28 and weather it would increase/decrese hp and safety.

No matter what you do it needs to be remapped to be safe, you can't just bolt on items and expect them to work to their full potential. Yes it will be safe but I wouldn't advise going balls out until its been checked/remapped.

The VF35 will be more laggy than a td04, but you have to trade off spool for power. You can't have one without the other or you'll have a really unbalanced turbo, which is why the garrett GT2860 is such a good turbo, has a great size turbine coupled with the perfect compressor.

No matter what you do it needs to be remapped to be safe, you can't just bolt on items and expect them to work to their full potential. Yes it will be safe but I wouldn't advise going balls out until its been checked/remapped.

The VF35 will be more laggy than a td04, but you have to trade off spool for power. You can't have one without the other or you'll have a really unbalanced turbo, which is why the garrett GT2860 is such a good turbo, has a great size turbine coupled with the perfect compressor.

Ye i understand i would need my emb re-mapped its just more of a query weather its safe on a standard engine

which vf is equivlant to a td04??

I know it flows more air, but as long as the fuelling is spot on isn't a TD04 safer on your engine long term? Sorry for the hijack!

this is what im trying to figure out dude :thumbsup:

My bad lol cant spell it because i cant afford it !

are you sure with the amount of funds your spending on her? ;)

back on topic, if you can get a decent one the vf34 is the one to go for :)

Yeah it will be safe on a stock engine if the fuelling is setup correctly :thumbsup:

But the more boost you run the more likely it is going to cause failed ringlands, because most stock engines are rather old and done a fair few miles, the ring's won't seal as good as what they did when the engine came out the factory. So there will be more gas passing under the piston rings.

The VF series are just ballbearing versions of the TD series with a few minor differences. The VF series will flow more than the TD series.

not all vf turbos are bb.

my mate has a vf28 on his stock 4e with a race tech inlet it makes 252bhp at 1.09 bar. its a good turbo and just pulls harder and harder. you really need to rev it out and bounch of the limiter a bit to help keep it going though.

a vf35 will spool slightly later than a td04l but make a good bit more top end. mines making 324bhp at 1.55 bar on a 5e. theres loads of info and builds, dyno graphs for different vf turbos about on the forum now.

Mate research a VF30 turbo I ran one on my car. It spooled up like an animal as it has the same size back housing as a td04 but plenty of power up top. It will pull like a train!