another best setup for head thread

just cant find out enough info on upgrading the head so am seeing if anyone has any advise or even better has any good links to good info.

will be running a forged 5e with more than likely some varient of a ballbearing garret turbo. but unsure what todo with the head had some people tell me a fully ported and polished head will be best and others saying a good set of cams will be better idealy id like both but as the prices seem to be £2000+ i cant realy justify it. whos running big power and what sorta work did they have done? uprated valve springs are a given but other than that what would realy give the most gains for a reasonable amout of money

any info be great

cheer shaun

Edited by _shaun_

My bro Alan_e his 4e gt is running 350 odd bhp just on super unleaded he is still using standard intake valve springs and set of 5efhe cam, he just has the head ported etc obviously cams and intake will give you a better power band throughout the rev range.

Depends what boost and power you want to run tbh.

I've been in contact with Keith over at zisco about the setup i'm planning on running (forged 5e with GTX28 turbo) and he has told me they are good upto around 400bhp without cams and oversized valves.

I'm going to get mine mapped and run on the dyno then see if there are any improvements to be made.

Edited by AdamB

ive spoke to keith aswell the set up with cams hes sujested would be around 2.2k am just trying to get a feel for what people running bigger bhp have done am aware a few havent realy touched the head but the spool times are my biggest concern

If spool is your biggest concern I wouldn't bother with cams, excessive porting, aftermarket intakes and throttlebodies. You can always try the dyno without these things, then if more power becomes your concern, you can always upgrade. Always best to start off at the bottom and work your way up, no point spending needless money on cams, manifolds etc for them not to work, you'll only lose money on them at resale. I'm in the same position and thats what i'll be doing.

Edited by AdamB

yea my main issue is am a few hundred miles away from the dyno/mapper so time i pay fuel/dyno and mapper costs am already spending a few hundred quid. everytime i want to check it or have it redone for a new head think ill possibly go for a ported and polished head to start and get that done if that doesnt do the job ill then look in to cams as they seem to be a rather large chunk of the cost and very few people actualy seem to run them

Theres no doubt you do make more power with cams, inlet and whatever else, but it also changes the powerband. As you initially said that spool is your main concern, its best to have a longer powerband.

• 2 weeks later...

I run a port polished and port matched head, cruise valve springs, 265 billet cams and have a custom inlet and mr2 tb. i cant comment on the pp head and inlet as shes not up and running yet but the cams and springs where on the last head i ran on my v and cams made the car far lazier off boost and till 4.5k rpm they didnt seem to aid or restrict spool after that though the car pulled like fook!! All depends what you are trying to get out of the engine and at what point. people have rightly proven no real head work is required to run 350hp as above you can easily overspend and go to far for the setup and sure you could just add a bigger turbo and more boost but what good is 1.9bar and 450hp if its only between 6.5k rpm and redline???? Cams and head work are great on the right set up for the right situation not all of us need it and equal some would improve by using it.