oil cooler thermostat - inline or sandwich plate?

been told an oil cooler for my setup would be a good idea but am unsure as to what thermostat to get? which ones are more reliable? I have a feeling it would be the inline one as they are alot more monies :(

Or do i even need one?

If your running a decent amount of power Then yes I would say so mate I went on track at jf2 and I'm running a td04 at a bar and oil temp was reaching 100-110 at which point I kept backing off as it starts to loose it's viscosity at that temp

I've for my thermostat built into my filter relocation. Doesn't open up untill 70deg. And my oil never once got hot in 3 track sessions at donnigton on Sunday. At 1.2 bar and 1.4 bar on td04

If your running a decent amount of power Then yes I would say so mate I went on track at jf2 and I'm running a td04 at a bar and oil temp was reaching 100-110 at which point I kept backing off as it starts to loose it's viscosity at that temp

Yeh, when she is finished she will be running a decent amount of power on a 5e mate on quite a nice turbo so i think maybe if yours was getting quite hot and you had to back off on a tdo4 then it would be wise for me to get one :) especially if i wana go all guns blazing round a track ;)

I've for my thermostat built into my filter relocation. Doesn't open up untill 70deg. And my oil never once got hot in 3 track sessions at donnigton on Sunday. At 1.2 bar and 1.4 bar on td04

Hmmmmmmmmmmm I wont be running a filter location kit, so that ones out the window :( lol have you ever seen you oil get hot?

is there any need to be running a thermostat?

Wow Jamie just 90? May have to get your setup on the go too lol

I was hitting 105/110 in my GT last year but it didn't get any higher. Still I'd like it to be more like your temps as I plan to track that car a lot

Speak to the James ^^^^ im sure he will sort you out. But yeah Mike wouldn't even map my car without one, the oil lost pressure due to it getting too hot just during running in at 0.6 bar so god help 1.4 lol

Wow Jamie just 90? May have to get your setup on the go too lol

I was hitting 105/110 in my GT last year but it didn't get any higher. Still I'd like it to be more like your temps as I plan to track that car a lot

Yeah sat at about 85 first session then after getting used to track a out 90. I used to hit silly temps and have to back off before, but now I can keep it going all session

You need yo run a stat imo. if you havent got a relocation kit then just use a thermo sandwich plate and 9 row cooler should br ample enough

I was thinking an inline one then maybe as i have read they are a bit more reliable :) would a 9 row not be way to small? i was looking at a 19 row :wacko: lol

Speak to the James ^^^^ im sure he will sort you out. But yeah Mike wouldn't even map my car without one, the oil lost pressure due to it getting too hot just during running in at 0.6 bar so god help 1.4 lol

ahaha, this is your fault ;) lol, if i hadnt have read your thread about needing one :p mike has recommended a setrab core so will probably get what ever he thinks is best :) is your motor finished yet? cant be to long now surely?

hmmmmmm i spose, plus the cost of an inline one is ridiculous really :(

when the car is finished, it will be used for fast road/track use so might need a bit more than a 9 just to be on the safe side ;)

I was thinking an inline one then maybe as i have read they are a bit more reliable :) would a 9 row not be way to small? i was looking at a 19 row :wacko: lol

ahaha, this is your fault ;) lol, if i hadnt have read your thread about needing one :p mike has recommended a setrab core so will probably get what ever he thinks is best :) is your motor finished yet? cant be to long now surely?

Haha, better be safe than sorry eh! The fitments were leaking on it dude, parts should arrive today! Just mapping then :-D

yeah i see what you mean :-) prob be a good idea to get a temp gauge if your going to track it aswell, i want one but ive got 3 Sard gauges and itl look out of place having an stri one! I've never seen any for sale so cant just get an oil temp, they musy have cost the previous owner a fortune lol

Thermostat is a thermostat dude weather it be inline or sandwich. 9 row will be fine unless your just going ro use it for track use. mocal stats open at 81°

Not completely true, the mocal thermostatic sandwich plate is always open slightly to allow a little flow through and on my car it over cools with normal driving running a 13 row cooler in the summer with the cooler covered in duct tape! (in winter I took the cooler out completely). An inline thermostat is completely closed when closed.

You'll definately need a thermostat and I would definately recommend an inline one.

yeah i see what you mean :-) prob be a good idea to get a temp gauge if your going to track it aswell, i want one but ive got 3 Sard gauges and itl look out of place having an stri one! I've never seen any for sale so cant just get an oil temp, they musy have cost the previous owner a fortune lol

I've got my stri gauges to go in dude so all areas regarding the running of the engine should be covered :thumbsup: ive never seen any sard gauges at all, I bet they look awesome :)

Not completely true, the mocal thermostatic sandwich plate is always open slightly to allow a little flow through and on my car it over cools with normal driving running a 13 row cooler in the summer with the cooler covered in duct tape! (in winter I took the cooler out completely). An inline thermostat is completely closed when closed.

You'll definately need a thermostat and I would definately recommend an inline one.

Brilliant, thanks for that mate, an inline one it is then :) but why may i ask dont you change yours aswell? save all the faffing about come winter ;)

I was wanting someone to clear this up before i purchased one!

Thanks awfully gents!

John

lol, glad my predicament could help fellow members :thumbsup: