anyone running a td racespec head?

been getting quotes from different trades for headwork so far td has offered the cheapest/most work but the only thing that puts me off is they wont actauly give full details on the head spec they would rather keep it secret other than mentioning it is pressure tested, skimmed, ported, polished, custom camshafts and custom valve springs. whos ran one of these? do you happen to have any before and after dyno sheets? what sorta power are u running and on what kinda engine/turbo set up?. am all for secrets and td protecting what they feel is the best spec head but when your paying out a fairly large sum of money i dont no if i like the idea of basicly being told what i paid for is a secret that i cant no :o

Im running one mate, my car made 325bhp on a 5E @ 1.4 bar TD05, TD call their dyno the heartbreaker too so by all acounts my car would read more than that if i was to take it elsewhere. The package doesnt include much headwork its basically stock apart from cams and valve springs and ARP bolts

Has anyone ever proved that a racespec head gives you any gains? for the money some people pay i think is silly! for what a few bhp more if that? for like 1k's worth of work on a head lol.

Get it ported, strong valve springs, maybe some new cams but gain are the cams going to give you an extra 100bhp i dont think so...I think alot of people throw money at things that arent necessary! shot your money into a good standalone

Has anyone ever proved that a racespec head gives you any gains? for the money some people pay i think is silly! for what a few bhp more if that? for like 1k's worth of work on a head lol.

Get it ported, strong valve springs, maybe some new cams but gain are the cams going to give you an extra 100bhp i dont think so...I think alot of people throw money at things that arent necessary! shot your money into a good standalone

This man knows the score!

You need to factor in what the stock head flows... which to be frank it flows really well, why take metal away and increase lag when its not needed? Your not going to get any extra ponies from porting a head, all your getting is more lag. You'll only gain ponies when the stock head is restricting air flow.

A standalone is well worth the money over a head, most standalones can be picked up for sub £1000 and you'll get better gains and a much better drive.

already planing a standalone. the head i realy want to get right first time i no i wont bother my arse to remomve it once its on there so i want it to be ready to flow 350-400bhp if i want. time u get a head rebuilt even to standard spec with uprated springs head bolts and hg your already in the territory of £500-600 and the mild spec heads seem to start from 1k+ 400quids a fair bit of money but if it gives a nice bit more power why not and then it gives me some peace of mind i dont go to get it mapped and get it told its being restrictive and have to take it to bits again.

the headwork ill be getting done just to what degree i dont no was just keen to see if anyone had paid out for this top secret head :o

What turbo you planning on running? As to be honest, what I would do would be check the compressor map and see how much the turbo flows. Get the head on a flow bench and test it, if the head will flow enough for the turbo, why bother spending the money? You will gain nothing at all apart from have a hole in your pocket. Even if it is decided that the head won't flow as much as the turbo can flow, atleast you know HOW much head work needs to be done, no point spending £1500 on a head if it only needs a small amount of work which can be done for £400.

Edited by AdamB

was looking at the garet gt25 however being told it might be worth going for a gt28 or 30 instead that seems like a good plan i just need to find somewere close that can actauly flow bench the head

I purchased the TD head because the stock cams become restrictive at about 330bhp not only that with the ARP's and valve springs it will take abit more of a beating, it was ideal for me really, im very happy with the power i made and now i can always run a bigger turbo if i wanted to, just need a bigger inlet first but im waiting for TD to manufacture their own as in my eyes they are going to be the best on the market when they are released

Matt's (socks) Glanza seams to be coping ok on stock cams ect i think an inlet and standalone and he'll be hitting near the 400bhp figher but he's saved 1k not getting any head work done...If Mat wanted to rev to 9000rpm then i can see the point of the cams :)

was looking at the garet gt25 however being told it might be worth going for a gt28 or 30 instead that seems like a good plan i just need to find somewere close that can actauly flow bench the head

Are you on 4e or 5e? A gt25 will respond very well, but will lack the top end punch the gt28 and 30 give. A gt30 on a 4e thats going to be used on the road to me is pointless, too much lag. a gt28 would be a much better choice for a 4e.

Depending on your budget you could opt for a garrett GTX turbo which has a billet comp wheel and dual ball bearing, so will spool very fast and provide more flow than a regular journal bearing varient.

A GT28 will push just over 350bhp, a GTX28 will be within touching 400bhp, both turbo's are within your goal.

A lot of the lads across the seas are running near on 400bhp with stock heads, so it can be done, you just have to factor in what the car will mainly be used for.

Edited by AdamB

its for a 5e its mainly going to be a road car and its all fast passed windy b roads down my way but ill be going to the strip any chance i get so kinda looking for best of both worlds

I would go for the gt28, which type depends on your budget. I personally will be using the GTX28 with a custom zisco manifold v-band all the way through. I'm hoping to have full boost 1.6 bar by 3500rpm, and 2 bar for drag/track days. A lad over on TGTT is using a GT28 journal bearing turbo and is making 1.5 bar at 3900rpm untuned. A 360bhp starlet should be well into the 11's at the strip ;)

Edited by AdamB

I've just ordered a v-band manifold and v-band downpipe to suit the turbo. I haven't decided where to get the turbo from yet mate, but I have Europes largest turbo dealer 2 miles from my house Owen Developments, so will most likely get it from them if they can give me a good price.

Not a bad price Matt considering, although with the new GTX series that comes with the billet wheel as standard and dual ball bearing its worth going for.

Cheapest i've found is £820 without turbine housing.

Matt's car has a huge amount of head work done so its hard to compare. But yes, head work is worth every penny providing its done correctly. The stock starlets heads aren't great in stock form. In certain area's there is a lot to be gained. In other area's not so much.

Matt's (socks) Glanza seams to be coping ok on stock cams ect i think an inlet and standalone and he'll be hitting near the 400bhp figher but he's saved 1k not getting any head work done...If Mat wanted to rev to 9000rpm then i can see the point of the cams :)

what sorta price is your manifold downpipe coming in at if u dont mind me asking adam? i can see plenty of gt28s but cant see any gtx series turbos if u had any links that would be great. i assume for the turbos u want the smallest exhaust housing size combined with idealy a billet wheel for faste spool?