What does this square unit do on the back of the intake manifold?

The tps? Mounted on the side of the throttle body?

If so its called the throttle position sensor. on starlets i was told that it only really tells the ecu when you've let off the accelerator. this tells it to stop adding feul special you aren't popping and banging as you engine brake i spose is the best term.

it will run without it however obviously Toyota didn't put it on for fun so best get one sorted asap

yeah thats it, well the contacts inside are all bent touching each other, when i start my car (which is ok) when i touch the acellerator at idle, it nearly cuts out then starts to rev up then cuts out then starts to rev again and keeps doing this yo yo thing with the thottle turning on and off all the time, do you think thats causing it?

Edited by Taggy

Is there no engine warning light on? if its hunting up and down the revs try cleaning the idle control valve. (unit on right hand side on the end of inlet mani if looking at pic) there's a guide on tgtt

if you need a new one, try an and get an auto tps :) if your getting your car mapped up these are better to use as with a manual tps its either say 1 or 100 (on/off) and nothing in between where as an auto you can control it right through so will be more accurate, does that make sense? lol