Mitsubishi evolution versions?

Hi guy, im doing abit of research for my friend whos looking buy an evo 8 very soon, hes spotted an evo 8 gsr but asked me why its got 261bhp?

I insisted tht it wasnt that and would be around the 280bhp mark (300ps)

After looking at the car we found out the model was a 261.2bhp

Im pretty clued up with my jap cars, but not to big with mitsubishi, is this just another variant 4G63t?

Maybe one of you guys may have owned an evo and can shed some light for me?

Thanks

Will

the later evos have different levels the evo 8 rs which is the lightweight version was around 280 and then on to a tommy mack which was around 310 iirc later evos again come in versions of fq300 360 and 400

if he is looking into getting an evo id higly reccomend an early evo maybe even a 2 or 3, they are alot lighter than the later versions and do not have yaw control which can be a right pain if you have any problems with it ;)

The gsr is the same engine but has different internals to the likes of the FQ.

My mate had a gsr 260 and it was poo theres only so much you can do to them befor the engine go's pop! Tell him to save his money and go for an FQ model iinsurance will be a tad more but will be worth it in the end!

Cheers guys some great info i can pass on.

Looks like he needs to get the later fq for power, they must have larger head ,stronger internals, bigger turbo etc?

Im a huge fan of the old evos, id love an old galant or subaru legacy. Propper cool cars

the later evos have different levels the evo 8 rs which is the lightweight version was around 280 and then on to a tommy mack which was around 310 iirc later evos again come in versions of fq300 360 and 400

if he is looking into getting an evo id higly reccomend an early evo maybe even a 2 or 3, they are alot lighter than the later versions and do not have yaw control which can be a right pain if you have any problems with it ;)

There was no evo 8 Tommi Mak mate?! Evo6 only

My friend had a couple of evo 8's when they were new. He had a tuned FQ340 which I beat in the wet in my old GT :-)

Edited by AdDaMan

There was no evo 8 Tommi Mak mate?! Evo6 only

My friend had a couple of evo 8's when they were new. He had a tuned FQ340 which I beat in the wet in my old GT :-)

X2 the tommi makinen was only available for the evo 6

The 260 has the same bottom end as the fq models, except for the fq400 and this means its capable of running 400bhp but this will cost more than if he just bought a fq model as he will be buying alot of bits such as exhaust, cams and intercooler piping which comes standard on the fq. Have a good read on the MLr they have useful buyers guides.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a lot of wrong information on this thread guys. Sorry if it sounds a bit off, I don't mean it that way but most of the advice given is totally wrong on this thread so far.

The reason why it will be quoted at 280 bhp is because it will be a Jap imort GSR. There was a UK spec basic 260 bhp model which is the one with the lower boot spoiler. Even the 260 can easily handle 400 bhp with stage 1 mods.

The Tommy Mac was a special edition of the evo 6, also known as the evo 6.5. It's not vastly different from the Evo 6, the main difference is the front bumper and slightly different turbo exhaust housing and I think a titanium shaft.

Your best place for any information is here:

www.lancerregister.com

Cheers

Rick