Engine Smoking! Good news take alook :)

Hi guys

wondering if you could help me!

I had a play with a 3.0L v6 C2 last week i noticed the next morning my JP manifold had a crack in it so i changed that and took it for its first spin yesterday!..Well everything was ok untill i got to Mcdonalds and was waiting in the drive throu for about 10mins and noticed quite abit of smoke behind me :( so give the throttle a quick blip and it went but give it a few seconds and it was back!!!

So i thought must be the turbo so got another turbo off Phil and changed that today and its still doing it!!!..So my question is is it the Vavle stems? If so that just puts a Cap on the shitters year i have ever had!

Just to note i dont have any oil coming out of the rocker cover breather so its not my ring lands!

Thanks in advance

Edited by micky boy
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are symptoms of worn pcv valve

Do use a favour mate write your own topic and ask people that question! dont wont this thread fillted up with shit! Dont mean to be a dick but this is my thread lol

Edited by micky boy

Its got 65000miles on here

And it only smokes when the engine is up to temp not when i first start it?

And it dont smoke when im driveing but then again is it but i just cant see it? only dose it if i let the car tick over for about 5min

hmm are you sure the new turbo isn't goosed also?Are you using a decat and was the other lad using a cat?

I made a topic about this a few months ago and everyone said turbo, ive just bought a recently reconned turbo in the hope it may be solved, but maybe not :/

Edited by A L 3 X

Turbo is sound got it off a mate he sold me it because he's gone TD04

did he run a cat or a decat, decats can be known to cause oil to slip past the seals due to the loss in back poressure, so if he was using a cat and you're using a decat it could explain it

Did you prime the turbo properly? Both times?

Also a good point.

did he run a cat or a decat, decats can be known to cause oil to slip past the seals due to the loss in back poressure, so if he was using a cat and you're using a decat it could explain it

Also a good point.

Its always had a decat on and has done for well over a year

Its always had a decat on and has done for well over a year

I see mate, could be either your exhaust system is less restricted than his, could be PCV valve,pr could be stem seals.

Whip the plugs out and check for oil on them or oil down the cylinders if you look with a torch?

If you leave it 5 mins and it starts smoking, does it stop at all if you leave it?

I'm assuming its blue smoke?

Edited by A L 3 X

ah man that sucks :( blue smoke ?

Yeah blue smoke! The thing i dont get is you would think if it was the valve stems then it would smoke more on start up as when the engine gets warm the valve stem seals expand and make more of a seal so to speak! madness

I see mate, could be either your exhaust system is less restricted than his, could be PCV valve,pr could be stem seals.

Whip the plugs out and check for oil on them or oil down the cylinders if you look with a torch?

If you leave it 5 mins and it starts smoking, does it stop at all if you leave it?

I'm assuming its blue smoke?

If i leave it for 5mins it starts smoking if i give the car a rev it blows the rest of the smoke out of my exhaust and its ok its stops then give it a few seconds and it builds back up!

Edited by micky boy

Yeah blue smoke! The thing i dont get is you would think if it was the valve stems then it would smoke more on start up as when the engine gets warm the valve stem seals expand and make more of a seal so to speak! madness

Oil also gets thinner when warm though so could be valve stem seals I'd be tempted to say, if you're confident it's not Pcv.

Oil also gets thinner when warm though so could be valve stem seals I'd be tempted to say, if you're confident it's not Pcv.

Yeah that is very true! im thinking its valve seals also :( And also dose it stops smoking when i rev it because the valves are lifting there for makeing a seal then soon as i stop reving it starts to build back up again

Edited by micky boy

If i leave it for 5mins it starts smoking if i give the car a rev it blows the rest of the smoke out of my exhaust and its ok its stops then give it a few seconds and it builds back up!

Thats like mine except if i rev mine a bit it clears it out and then its gone unless i leave it idling for a long time again, like on warm idle it will come in sessions not constantly....i've been told its the turbo but only time will tell, your problems dont convince me though :(

as for the valve seals, thats what I though, my old mazda I would start it up, it would bellow it out for 30 seconds tro a minute on the first start of the day, then nothing for the whole day.

Thats like mine except if i rev mine a bit it clears it out and then its gone unless i leave it idling for a long time again, like on warm idle it will come in sessions not constantly....i've been told its the turbo but only time will tell, your problems dont convince me though :(

as for the valve seals, thats what I though, my old mazda I would start it up, it would bellow it out for 30 seconds tro a minute on the first start of the day, then nothing for the whole day.

I hope it is the turbo in you case mate! Wish mine was lol but have a fealing its something internal wish there was such thing as an engine x ray lol