Engine Smoking! Good news take alook :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So do I after spending on a full ct9 kit lol :/

I hope yours turns out to be something simple mate, it's so shit when you gotta strip it all apart, like I say tho whip the plugs out and check them for oil, and look down the plug holes as well, may give an indication if it is the seals :/

Compression test? I've done mine on a weekly basis more or less, because I'm so paranoid :p. have a look at Plugs while you're at it :).

Haha done one when i first bought it and that was ok but will do another one to be sure! And going to have a look at the plugs was well! thanks for your help

So do I after spending on a full ct9 kit lol :/

I hope yours turns out to be something simple mate, it's so shit when you gotta strip it all apart, like I say tho whip the plugs out and check them for oil, and look down the plug holes as well, may give an indication if it is the seals :/

Cheers mate im going to have a gander tomorrow

Just took the plugs out and they all look ok! also had a look down each plug hole and they look ok to..Im going to do a Compression test tomorrow so ill lets use know how thats go's

Whats good Compression on a 4efte?

Edited by micky boy

Just took the plugs out and they all look ok! also had a look down each plug hole and they look ok to..Im going to do a Compression test tomorrow so ill lets use know how thats go's

Whats good Compression on a 4efte?

Mine has 180psi across all four cylinders. You're mainly looking for the difference between the cylinders, a difference of more than a bar between two or more of the cylinders is not good.

Remember to crank it over with the throttle wide open too (and disconnect the fuel pump)

Mine has 180psi across all four cylinders. You're mainly looking for the difference between the cylinders, a difference of more than a bar between two or more of the cylinders is not good.

Remember to crank it over with the throttle wide open too (and disconnect the fuel pump)

Ok cool :) i was just going to ask about the fuel pump! could i just take out the EFI fues?..Ohh and do i diconnect the king lead?

Edited by micky boy

Right just done a Compression test.

With the throttle wide open

EFI fues removed

Engine upto temp

King Lead unplugged from the dizzy

And i got 4bar across all 4 cylinders which works out to be about 60PSI? not sure if the Compression tester is the worlds best i lent if off my mate and he bought it brand new off ebay and has never used it!

So im still in the same boat realy lol But tbh surelly it wouldnt give the same PSI across all 4 cylinders if my rings/piston were fucked!

And also today its alot worse smokes thoru the rev range aswell as tick over and when i say smokes it filles the street lol

Also i've had another look at my spark plugs and there not any sign's of oil on them? i've also checked down each spark plug hole and cant see any signs of oil down there either!!!

Edited by micky boy

Mine idle a bit high at time but no oil coming out of my catch can etc

Hmm this is mad lol mine idles spot on and boosts fine just alot of smoke to go with it lol

Edited by micky boy

I think maybe youve got a duff tester especially to have the exact same across each cylinder and still running perfect, is the smoke blue or thick white?

If your getting no oil out the breathers or take the oil cap/ dipstick out when running and see there, shouldn't get much more than a few spatters out the oil cap and nothing from dip stick, you using any oil?

If all signs seem good swap back to your other turbo and see what happens mate, something sounds a bit strange.

I had mine comp tested on a cold engine with king lead on and a shit tester, mine was low but due to the test not being done at right conditions, but was a lot higher than yours and was again exact across all four though

Edited by A L 3 X

I think maybe youve got a duff tester especially to have the exact same across each cylinder and still running perfect, is the smoke blue or thick white?

If your getting no oil out the breathers or take the oil cap/ dipstick out when running and see there, shouldn't get much more than a few spatters out the oil cap and nothing from dip stick, you using any oil?

If all signs seem good swap back to your other turbo and see what happens mate, something sounds a bit strange.

I had mine comp tested on a cold engine with king lead on and a shit tester, mine was low but due to the test not being done at right conditions, but was a lot higher than yours and was again exact across all four though

Its defoo blue and sells of oil.

The thing i dont get is i dont have any oil in my intercooler pipes nor do i have any in the turbo compressor houseing or the exhaust turbin but is it burning it off that quick its not leaveing any trace's!

Think im going to go with you on this one mate im going to swap turbos again (i know my old turbo smoked but not as much) so if i put the old one back on and it dont smoke as much as it is now then that sort of gives me a sign that it is the turbo..Thanks for you help bud

Edited by micky boy

That's what I'm hoping for you mate, I only had slight oil in my tmic but nothing in the fmic or so it seems

And again just dry black soot in the exhaust, but I've been told unless its pissing oil

Out the seals the exhaust side won't get oily as it just burns off

Also if your compression was that low I'm pretty sure you'd have running issues

I'm not 100% but it's better than stripping the engine down just yet mate :)

That's what I'm hoping for you mate, I only had slight oil in my tmic but nothing in the fmic or so it seems

And again just dry black soot in the exhaust, but I've been told unless its pissing oil

Out the seals the exhaust side won't get oily as it just burns off

Also if your compression was that low I'm pretty sure you'd have running issues

I'm not 100% but it's better than stripping the engine down just yet mate :)

Cheers mate im hopeing so to but im not holding my breath lol..And yead i would of thought i would have runnig issues if the compression was that low! But id dont!

Also mate, when you say you primed the turbo and cranked it with oil return and king lead off, what do you class as priming as I always assumed that was priming but I'd like to know for when I fit mine?

Cheers

My head was up my aress yesterday so didnt realy know what i was saying haha..The best way to prime the turbo is to crank the engine a few times with the king lead off as it still pumps oil into the turbo without the turbin spining fully!..I crank it over about 3times i.e turn the engine over let it rest for 5min then turn it over again let it rest then finaly start the car!

Edited by micky boy

To prime the turbo leave the oil return off and remove king lead turn over engine, oil light should go out whilst doing this and when oil starts to run out the oil return you know the turbo is primed, fit the oil return pipe an you are good to go

I get someone to turn it over whilst i watch the oil come out the return and catch it in a container ;)

John