Looking at a GT that's using water, what could it be?

Hey guys,

So I'm going with a mate tomorrow to go look at an EP and the seller says that it's using water but it's driving fine. What could be the potential causes and the cost of repair?

I'm guessing there may be a split rad pipe or a leaky rad but these would be obvious to spot?

Maybe head gasket or a crack in the head around the exhaust mani studs?

Somebody has also mentioned it may have something to do with the thermostat?

I don't believe the car has been compression tested..

Thanks

Amjad

Edited by Amjad

Hey guys,

So I'm going with a mate tomorrow to go look at an EP and the seller says that it's using water but it's driving fine. What could be the potential causes and the cost of repair?

I'm guessing there may be a split rad pipe or a leaky rad but these would be obvious to spot? - Not always, my mate had a tiny weep on his Teg's rad so it was losing water but you couldn't tell where from.

Maybe head gasket or a crack in the head around the exhaust mani studs? - Most likely, look for white smoke out of the exhaust and usual checks for mayo under the cap/pressuring the system

Somebody has also mentioned it may have something to do with the thermostat? - Only if the thermostat housing is cracked

I don't believe the car has been compression tested. - Possibly get a sniffer test kit for hydrocarbons in the water

Thanks

Amjad

Hey dude, see above!

I have a horrific crack around one of my exhaust manifold studs and it's still not leaked anything. I'd say headgasket. And unless the thermostat housing was leaking, a buggered thermostat wouldn't cause it to use water? Check the oil filler cap for mayo and give it a compression test. Leave it idling up to temp and have a good look for leaks. Check around the 4th runner on the inlet manifold to see if it's had the wrong inlet gasket fitted as that would cause a coolant leak too I reckon.

Head gasket job would only cost replacement parts if you were to do it yourself its not difficult hardest part it torqueing the head and setting the timing. If you get the car for a good price then why not. Id try and get about 500 off the asking price if they havent already taken it into consideration.

And it could still always just be a daft leak somwhere. As said before check the oil cap and the dipstick as he could be on the ball and easily clean the cap. Run the car to temp and look underneath for drips. Theres a million things it could be and a million things you can do and check over. Check these main areas and get it for the right price. After all worst case scenario is that it need an engine which isnt really the end of the world.

Cheers for the help everyone! Drove really quite nicely but it turns out it was indeed head gasket!

Took it for a drive for about 10 mins, returned back to his house to find this..

6e4321d8.jpg

94cbc484.jpg

With a knackered HG i would say £1500 is on the steep side as your buying an engine with potentially a can of worms of problems, i bought a GT as my first starlet with a HG failure thinking it was a cheap fix, paid to get it repaired then it blew a piston a month later!!

I reckon £1250 is about right :p so gives you some spending money for any other hidden gems!

Check the oil filler cap for mayo and give it a compression test. Leave it idling up to temp and have a good look for leaks. Check around the 4th runner on the inlet manifold to see if it's had the wrong inlet gasket fitted as that would cause a coolant leak too I reckon.

why would the wrong inlet gasket allow it to leak water?

The 4efe inlet gasket is different from the 4efte in the bottom left hand corner. If you put an efe gasket on an fte, it pisses coolant out. Talking from experience.

I'm sure there are two types of FTE head? one has the water way open, the other closed, so the correct gasket needs to be applied.

Amjad i can take a look before he buys it if you like easiest safest option would be to take the cost of a known working engine off the price of the car. Once they have been opened more problwms could arise leaving qith a badly priced gt

Amjad i can take a look before he buys it if you like easiest safest option would be to take the cost of a known working engine off the price of the car. Once they have been opened more problwms could arise leaving qith a badly priced gt

so true, its awash with modded GT's!

I agree with Matt here!.. Looking at the spec of GT's going through Pistonheads now a days, you can pick up one with smaller problems than the HG for £1200 :/