Has anyone ever got a manifold ceramic coated?

As above guys. I painted my WEPR exhaust manifold with high temp black around a year and a half ago but in the last few months it has started to rust and flake. I was told to get the manifold ceramic coated. Apparently it will withstand very high temperatures and not flake off, also the properties of the ceramic are supposed to run the manifold cooler than normal. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Browner

I couldn't really see it doing much damage to a well made manifold but you never know I suppose. I just hate having a spotless engine bay and a rusty exhaust manifold it just doesn't look right lol. My manifold is mild steel by the way

fireplace paint is quite good ive heard...

I dont know to what effect it has on the durability of the manifold tho!

It wouldn't last long - fireplaces don't tend to get near 920C!

I remember dane having his coated I think it was done by zircotec as it was the blue colour but it is expensive to get done.

I coated mine with tech line black satin from demon tweeks which can be applied with an air gun and it's lasting ok (I've used other "High temp" exhaust paints which have burned off within weeks), for a lasting finish I think ceramic is the only option though.

• 1 month later...

Ceramic coating is the best way to go for an exhaust manifold! Although yes it is pricey. It keeps the heat in and reduces the heat the manifold gives out dramatically. I would recommend this above the usual heatwrapping as this causes the exhaust manifold to crack over time.

Ceramic coating drops engine bay temps a lot, but dramatically increases the exhaust gas temps, which in a way is what you want. The internal temperature of the manifold will be a lot higher, but it also slows the cooling process after you turn the car off as the cermic has a very very low thermal conductivity. Bear in mind that if you have a wideband sensor in the decat, you may wanna move it further down the exhaust as it will fry for sure.

ive got the manifold on my skyline done, was done in Oz where the manifold came from and its spot on, you can touch the manifold like after 5-10minutes of going for a drive and not burn yourself.

I know the Tuning Developments Starlet had their WEPR manifold dont a few years ago and nick was happy with it.