Side exit hole and intercooler pipe hole repair PICS ADDED

Just brought a 98 spec front bumper for a good price but it has a round cut hole for a side exit and a bit below the fog cut for a larger intercooler pipe section.

Can anyone tell me the best process for trying to hide these away? will upload pics soon for extra detail.

Thanks

img00631c.th.jpg

img00641t.th.jpg

Edited by TurboTobz

You're going to need to fiberglass these matey. It's quite easy stuff to work with and you can get kits on ebay. Work on the inside of the bumper and make sure you really rough up the surface you're sticking the fiberglass on to try and help prevent cracking or splitting from the bumper etc. Use plenty of it too and go a fair bit wider than the hole. You don't really want that bit flexing because once you've got the hole covered from the inside, you're going to have the fill the recess thats left using body filler. Epson's P38 is widely available... Use a sanding block would be my best tip. Don't want wavy ripple repairs lol.

i would plastic weld it but if your doing it your self then fibreglass is easier, make sure u get filler that will stick to plastic as some fillers dont, i would fibreglass the back, then use this to fill the recess http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U-pol-SMC-White-High-Adhesion-Easy-Sand-Plastic-Filler-/110683106220?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item19c53a2bac then a final skin of this filler http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Evercoat-Easy-Sand-Stopper-/160634578923?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item25669127eb

Fiberglass won't crack if done properly. It'll be more rigid than plaggy welding which is kinda what you want considering you're putting filler over the top of it... The more flex and movement behind the filler, the more likely the filler is to crack....

Each to their own. Do what you feel is easy. Either way, if you have a bump, the filler is going to crack or dislodge because you're filling a flexible object and filler doesn't flex :p. Which is why I personally would use fiberglass to reduce the flex.

A 98 spec splitter would cover a lot of that up :)

I know! That is my initial plan although money at the moment is tight hoping to be in a new job soon, awaiting test results which determine if I'll have an interview! At the moment I am out of work so I am surviving off of saved money and hoping that my ibiza cupra sells asaaaaaap! Edited by TurboTobz

I have heared of plastic weld but I am not familiar with this, although I have some filler and a tub of fibreglass here now my friends father has offered to prep the entire bumper ready for spraying for just £30 and he is an impeccable panel beater/sprayer so I am considering this dependent on cash flow