Should i come back and give up the Type-R?

Once had a N/A Glanza Replica i bought from a previous member on here. I was going to convert it.. Had EVERYTHING need'ed however, i went off the idea after spending £1300 on bits.. Anyway, bought a EP3 Civic Type-R, Facelift in Milano Red. I do love the car, it's a beast.. But i've always longed for boost.. VTEC is now boring..

My question is, do you think its worth it? I know reliablity on Glanza's isn't the best. (from reading articles here months ago..) I would only go for boost on a high-spec'ed glanza as my R is worth over £3,000.. Do you think im mad?

Also would i be disapointed with the performance off a glanza at around 180-200bhp with my 200bhp civic.. i know top end the civic would eat it, but just the noise these things make has always had made my moist..

What's your opinons.. It's so difficult for me, i love the R.. but i long for boost..

Lewis

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

200bhp in a glanza will absolutely destroy a type r, if you were spending 3k on a glanza you most certainly won't be disappointed :D

Reliability is my other MAIN concern. Spending all out and getting a dud.. Compression testing will be done on any i view/buy (seller allowing, if not. i wont view) but still may not highlight other issues..i.e..bottom end?

i know top end the civic would eat it

You'd be surprised at how well a TD04'd Starlet can perform on top end. My brothers old EP3 didn't have a patch on my old TD04 Glanza even on the motorway. Mine was running 219bhp but even 200bhp would be enough to stay in front imo.

Get back in a Starlet 8)

Welcome to the life of turbo ownership! Had more engine changes than oil changes ha ha

That certainly doesn't help! - Urghh.. my NA was used and abused the dirty slag. Never had a hiccup.. I just worry over the 4E-FTE compared with the 4E-FE...

Not sure how much a forged one costs but thats the main issue with any unforged fte over 230-40.

170hp in my motor is quicker than type R's upto 110ish but im not boosted so im lacking the torque of a turbo but i still enjoy my car more than any type R I've been in, i find they go from too refined to, to rattly and tracky (un daily based)

Supose it really depends what you're looking for in the long term i guess

You'd be surprised at how well a TD04'd Starlet can perform on top end. My brothers old EP3 didn't have a patch on my old TD04 Glanza even on the motorway. Mine was running 219bhp but even 200bhp would be enough to stay in front imo.

Get back in a Starlet 8)

Can the 1.3 really squeez over 150? Currently my EP3 pulls past it before i bottle it.. (Closed road ofcourse..)

Dont be stupid

I've just gone from a 250 bhp type r to a.forged td04 280 bhp glanza

had it a month and already looking at integras

the civic is more.fun.to drive better on fuel and a hell of alot more.reliable,

Throw a few k at the civic and you wont look back

(looking at tegs as no ep will be as good as.my last one to.me)

Edited by Jack-CTR

Dont be stupid

I've just gone from a 250 bhp type r to a.forged td04 280 bhp glanza

had it a month and already looking at integras

the civic is more.fun.to drive better on fuel and a hell of alot more.reliable,

Blimey.. Any more info..?

And reliability

i didnt mean just mine

yours always on my ramps

mines always on ramps

My engine blew hence the forge

your engines knackered hence forging

And few others we know are or have been rebuilt :p

My Main concern.. they cant seem to be ran reliably...worrying

Can the 1.3 really squeez over 150? Currently my EP3 pulls past it before i bottle it.. (Closed road ofcourse..)

Sure. My old GT reached 149mph (on the AVC-R, not the speedo) before I let off. That was running 211bhp.

Jack, I'm amazed that your Glanza is worse on fuel than your EP3. EP3s are absolutely horrendous on fuel. I thought about buying one but that's the only thing that let me off. Starlets are awesome on fuel when driven sensibly, EP3s are drink like a tank no matter how you drive!

Speaking of reliabilty, I wouldn't say the EP3 is more reliable than a well set up Starlet. I am breaking a Type R right now and I've lost count on the amount of phone calls I've had asking for engines due to bottom end failure on the K20.

Sure. My old GT reached 149mph (on the AVC-R, not the speedo) before I let off. That was running 211bhp.

Jack, I'm amazed that your Glanza is worse on fuel than your EP3. EP3s are absolutely horrendous on fuel. I thought about buying one but that's the only thing that let me off. Starlets are awesome on fuel when driven sensibly, EP3s are drink like a tank no matter how you drive!

Speaking of reliabilty, I wouldn't say the EP3 is more reliable than a well set up Starlet. I am breaking a Type R right now and I've lost count on the amount of phone calls I've had asking for engines due to bottom end failure on the K20.

On the CTR forums theres not many problems with engine failure. Main reason idiots run them without oil for a month and still use VTEC.

On the other hand i can catagorically say my Type-R uses less fuel than my N/A Starlet.. £20 in CTR lasts alot longer, my fuel bill has decreased in ownership of it!

All this CONS yet i still want a V!!!!!

On the other hand i can catagorically say my Type-R uses less fuel than my N/A Starlet.. £20 in CTR lasts alot longer, my fuel bill has decreased in ownership of it!

Wow, I seriously am impressed.

I never drove my brothers mainly because it was just too expensive to run. I did a 250 mile trip in it once and it properly pulled my pants down. Just cruised at 70mph but the revs sit so high with the short ratio gears and I could almost see the fuel needle going down :lol:

Problem.with ep3's now is theyve done loads of miles and theyve all been thrashed to death, and imo there exspensive too modify and when they go wrong exspensive too repair ! Jack sold his basic engine with no mods that had done 90k for £800 ! Can get a good running 4efte for £250.

Wow, I seriously am impressed.

I never drove my brothers mainly because it was just too expensive to run. I did a 250 mile trip in it once and it properly pulled my pants down. Just cruised at 70mph but the revs sit so high with the short ratio gears and I could almost see the fuel needle going down :lol:

To put it into context..

My friend found a EP3 in leeds.. it was 278 miles door to door.. We took my EP3 Full tank is £60 we topped up another £20 halfway back! So i did 550 miles on £80.. and on the way home..it was a fun drive..;)