Knocking noise upfront possibly engine ?

Driving to work last couple of days and I've noticed a knocking noise coming from the front somewhere and concerned it could be the engine

Havnt seen any difference in performance and its not overly loud you do have listen for it can feel it slightly in the car but seems to stop when stood still or at low speed

Is there anyway of telling what's causing this :(

Could be although say still or in traffic there's nothing if somthing was loose in the bay would it not be rattling knocking all the time

Is there anyway of taking the engine out of the equasion and narrowing it down to somthing

Thanks for the fast replys

Appreciate it

Hi mate I would doubt it was engine related when the bottom end knocks it tends to be noticable on idle and less noticeable when revving. A good chance it would be engine mounts rather than the engine itself. If it happens at high speed and when u accelerate hard make sure they are all tight. When I bought my car it had a terrible knock when I floored it. The last owner had just had a timing belt done and the garage hadnt tightened the timing belt engine mount properly.

Is it related to anything maybe going over bumps or turning a corner? Best bet with it being a knock is to take it to a local garage they should be able to identify it.

On that note I've got sumthing similar sometimes when I start the engine or when my clutch engages more commonly for reverse as its obv more harsh I can get a small couple knocks and sounds exactly what you said Starbuck like somthing is knocking off the bulkhead in the bay. Problem Is I cant find it for the life of me Ive check a million times everything feels solid. Ive lay under the car while someone started and stopped the engine and engaged the clutch......Im stumped.

Yea I'm thinking maybe a mount its faint knocking to say the least you can feel it through the pedals so I'm guessing its somthing lower the ground I'm stumped also I've looked in the bay for anything loose or anything with play in it lay under the car checked the cv boots and suspension seems ok but it is an original gt suspension could be the problem

:/

It does differ when turning or giving it some beans so don't really no what to do

Edited by Lawless

Infact if it feels low down and you can feel it at the pedals?

This might sound mad but try a different set of wheels on the front.

I had this with another car and the faster I went the worse it got turned out to be a buckled wheel.

Ahh that makes sense I just took my et 13s off as they were destroying my tyres even with the arches rolled :( and put on a set of crappy winter wheels and its pretty much since then that its been playing up will try this and let you no

Cheers

Appreciate it

Ahh that makes sense I just took my et 13s off as they were destroying my tyres even with the arches rolled :( and put on a set of crappy winter wheels and its pretty much since then that its been playing up will try this and let you no

Cheers

Appreciate it

Were you running 195/50s?

• 3 weeks later...

Just been and had the car looked at this morning no play in anything at the front other than a small bit of play on the inner arm of the steering rack would this cause the sound /feeling I'm getting when driving other than that it could only be the wheels but I have no spares to test :/

Give the exhaust system a wiggle....had the same problem last week, shit myself and checked everything else then pretty much in desperation grabbed hold of the mid section and wiggled it....suprise suprise "knock knock knock" had lost one of the rubber hangers but I was convinced the drive shaft was fucked! Worth a shot?

I know mate tell me about it lol.....I was just 100% it was the front left quarter haha! Do feel like a bit of a numpty but in my defence I climb trees for a living and my little SR is my first flirt with 10+ year old cars and the joys of all the knocks and rattles that go along with it....not really an excuse but my experience with vehicles has been colourful to say the least so I just thought the worst before the obvious! 😌

Nah not at all mate all part of the fun these things happen if you have no experience. Its a lesson learned bet its the 1st thing you check from every rattle now on lol.

Climb trees are you a tree surgeon? Or a tarzan double?

Sorry for hijacking the thread lol.

Checked the exhaust aswel all hangers are in good nick and gave it a good shake along with all the other culprates and all seemed well other than the inner arm on the steering rack which had the slightest bit of play in it (would this cause the problem though ) and the old wheels have no tyres on so can't try them ?

Took the car out last night for a run try to source the problem

Can't for the love of me tell what is is and had it looked at by a garage yesterday and they couldn't find anything

The noise I'm hearing/feeling

Is as if its going round with the wheels it makes no difference on speed and still does the same thing with the clutch dipped aswel and when I put it in neutral and roll along still the same noise

Can anyone shed some light on this

The only thing I havnt tries is changing the wheels as I don't have a spare set

And an expensive thing to buy if its wrong

:(

It also feels like its coming from the drivers side more than anything

Also seems to of gotten louder

Edited by Lawless

i am in corsham as you no im got near taunton on week end if it is at tire speed you have not got nail in tire or stone in tred am picking up wheels will let you try them to see if it sorts it or you can drive up to me and have a couple of set you can if that work mate up to u :thumbsup: , have wheels balanced again