Time for new springs / shocks - which ones though?

Hey all, need the advice of you guys. My lil' chap is due new suspension based on it's age plus I'm hearing whooshing noises when going over some speed bumps so sounds like it's time for renewal. I have only changed the wheels to a set of Yaris alloys 15", and shod with some fairly average hard compound tyres which of course are much lower profile to maintain the wheel tyre circumference from the original steelies.

Although the car handles better now and is less delicate in corners due to the extra wheel width (not helped by the original tyres when purchased somehow being 18 years old based on the tyre markings :shok: no idea how a 14 yr old car has 18 yr old tyres, but anyway..), but the ride is somewhat crashy and harsh.

I can't stretch budget to coilovers, so can anyone suggest a springs / dampers combo that would help with softening the ride whilst improving it - I don't want to lower the car more than 30mm if possible as it's not a SR/Glanza street machine, I'm trying to make it look fairly classy Toyota stock style as befits an old dude like me! I heard Spax springs are softer and better for a more easy ride quality That was written on Toyota owners forum, so maybe bullsh*t :)

So budget =£500 inc fitting (I'm crap at mechanics so will not be fitting myself). I've been looking at OEM Lesjofers and KYG bits, but could up the anti for some branded springs. I take it I should replace the bushes too?

Any help appreciated guys.

scampi.jpg

Edited by dazstarlet

Speak to td mate or I'd-works about shocks n springs dude if u can't any decent second hand but cj performance av got a group buy on coil overs at mo which would make u see some change from your 500 mate

I got kyb standard replacements for about £150 the plus £150 for top spec jap lowering springs and they done the job. If you can get coilovers new for under £500 sell all u own and buy th. There alot more comfortable these days and will make your starlet so much fun. Can be set at SR oem rates for daily comfort. If not get a jap brand spring and avoid uk brand chav spring such as apex. Spring sag will break your heart

• 3 weeks later...

I know the CJ Performance coilover group buy is coming to crunch time, and I may still go that route but i'm struggling to justify what will be a £440 coilover cost (which is ok) + £100 for an adjustable pan rod + £150ish for having it all fitted. I only paid £995 for my Starlet! Coughing £700 on suspension for a non turbo seems a bit ott, but I can't see any way of avoiding the purchase of a new adjustable pan rod no matter what springs I buy as they all lower so in theory all force the new pan rod.

Is there any option for buying a new cheaper shocks/springs setup like KYB stuff that don't lower the car, and thereby also don't force buying that pan rod without having to resort to finding some 10 year old Starlet springs that have been left gathering dust in a Toyota dealers cupboard?

Edited by dazstarlet

You dont Have to fit the panhard rod though ypu may want to in future, lowering with coilovers or springs have the same affect on the drivers rear arch. Bare in mine that I was hittin humpback bridges at 80+ in mine to make it rub. No fat chicks is a must though.