High idle when hot

Hi everyone,

I'm new on here, just recently bought a 96 1.3 starlet SR.. I'm very impressed with it so far but there one thing bothering me.

When I start the car up (when cold) it idles normal (1k) but once the engine heats up the idle will go upto 1700-1800k, also if the car is moving and i put the clutch in (basically idling whilst moving) then the revs surge from 1k to 1500k.

Had a quick look around the engine bay couldn't find any vacuum leaks etc but i did see one injector was wet and dirty which i suppose is petrol.. i also worked out my mpg, 30mpg and i was driving it nicely, never over 4k.. don't know if that is normal i know parkers say 41mpg..

other than this and a wheel bearing I need to change then the car is fine, made up with it!

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Give the idle control valve a clean buddy, basically all of the sensors and plugs on and around the intake/throttle bodie, just give them all a clean.

Also see if your throttle cable is too tight, if it's too tight the could cause the butterfly inside the throttle bodie to creep open a bit thus letting air in and making it hunt.

Most people will tell you to check/clean/replace your IACV (idle air control valve) though!

I've just been and bought some carb cleaner, unplugged the two plugs and took off the pipe going from the throttle body to the airfilter, gave it a good spray all around the throttle body.. its now idling at 2k! it does rev alot better now and feels quicker, but the high idle is still there!

would i be better taking off the throttle body and giving it a right good clean??

also tried spraying around some off the vacuum hoses but the idle didn't change at all.
and cleaned the injectors to see if i can see if it petrol weeping out.

bit off an update... still got the problem.. ive taken the throttle body off gave it a good clean, the butterfly, sensors, plugs..

it now idles at 2100k.. dunno why but every time i seem to clean it the idle seems to go up??

i did find that why i unplugged one plug whilst it was running the idle dropped to 1500k (when hot) still quite high i though but much better..

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

which is sensor is this? i also took it apart and cleaned it but no luck.. maybe this sensor is causing the troubles??

Ah! that will explain then.. I take it the 4efte has a different setup? I got confused as mine was different to this guide... http://www.toyotagtt...al and Cleaning

Whats the best bet then if ive already gave it a clean, obviously replace.. i assume the main dealer will rape me so would i be better going second hand?

also could I run the engine with the plug disconnected? doesn't seem to be any problems when I tried before..