Expansion tank bubbling?

Well lads and lassies.
A few weeks back while dropping my GT to my unit she started blowing steam from the rad and expansion bottle even though the gauge was reading around the normal level.
I assumed the worst and thought the headgasket was gone so left it alone for a week or 2 and decided to do a compression test 2 nights ago which came back as follows,

172 172 169 173

That seems to be fine(fair enough theres a slight drop in psi but its nothing to worry about i've been told)
After fiddling with the rad cap I let the car run again and it was fine,no steam or bubbling or a bit.
Did the same tonight but after taking it for a spin and pulling up in the unit,there was no steam or a bit but after the car had turned off you could hear the expansion tank bubbling and it let out some water but once again,gauge was reading as normal.

I'm going to change the rad cap and thermostat asap,also noticed there is very little pressure in the top rad pipe.
Any ideas on whats causing this?

So even though the compression test came back fine ye wreckon headgasket?

A compression test will not show up very small combustion leakage. You will need a leak down test or a CO test to determine how well the gasket is sealing. You will find the headgasket will have gone a small amount if you remove the head.

Edited by AdamB

Have no idea in terms of rad pipes being hard or soft tbh. Be better off doing some sort of test to verify if there is a issue or not. Most garages will be able to do a CO test, only takes 30 seconds to do. And a compression test takes 5 mins.

If pipes are going hard then yes there's a good chance head gasket is going as exhaust gases are entering the water channels causing pipes to go hard, get sniff test done on it to confirm.

Weird mate, typical mine did it on way down to see dean and get my td04 fitted, so I can't even give it anything lol, had to call my map off as well, fuck it I think I'm gonna do hg, Cambelt again, water pump and valve seals to sort it out good and proper

Have you tryed to take off the water hoses and blast out the cooling system then refill it?

Maybe worth a try 1st its free because you wont need to use antifreeze if your gna go straight ahead and do the HG as you will be draining it anyway just an hour or so graft if you have a hose.