possible starlet buy: need info

helloo :D

Just passed moi test a few weeks ago and i've been looking at some 1996-99 starlets. so a few questions.

What are they like? any good? such as the engines, gear change, handling.

also are they cheap to run, being a new driver i want a car with cheap insurance.

Also how do they stack up against a k11 micra?

Thanks, really appreciate it. :unsure:

they are peanuts to run, cheap tax, 66 for half the year,

34mpg all day regardless if you have a heavy right foot or not.

the only na engine avaialbe is the 1.3 but a comon swap is the 1.5 5efe. the engines look identical so you wouldent have to tell insurers if you were so inclined as the engine number is undder the manifold, interrior space is good, can be cramped int the back.

handling isnt great but can be brought up to scratch with an anti lift kit and rear anti roll bar mod.

they are around group 4-5 dependant on model

you should be heading for a luxury cd model or the spory sr which came with toyota team europe goodys like spoiler, speedline alloys and a few othe bits and bobs.

ps micras are shite, no where near as much tuning potential as the ep starlet

have you heard of the turbo gt turbo and glanza v?

just a few ideas

welcome to the club, if you have any more questions just ask man :unsure:

my bros 'sr's handing i think is pretty good, it hangs on very well round sharp bends at speed, with some good sticky rubber!

Insurance isn't that bad, but it depends on how much you have and what you class cheap?

Also, when he put an airfilter on it, the MPG was crap.

Dont by a micra!

And welcome mate!

Welcome to the club mate :unsure:

Everything you need to know abnout Starlets is here....just take a look in the Technical section....EVERY question you could ever ask HAS been answered in there somewherew :D

Good luck finding a nice Starlet....... :lol:

Thanks for the replies peeps :D

34mpg all day regardless if you have a heavy right foot or not.

the only na engine avaialbe is the 1.3 but a comon swap is the 1.5 5efe. the engines look identical so you wouldent have to tell insurers if you were so inclined as the engine number is undder the manifold, interrior space is good, can be cramped int the back.

ah cool, 34mpg seems low for a 1.3, says it does around 42mpg on parkers, which is decent, i like the sound of the engine figures, 16v 74bhp and 80 lbs, but is it any better then the one in the micra? because ive driven a micra and they have some sweet engines.

handling isnt great but can be brought up to scratch with an anti lift kit and rear anti roll bar mod.

they are around group 4-5 dependant on model

Not sure what they are, but wouldn't lowering it by say 35mm sort it out? as with the micras.

you should be heading for a luxury cd model or the spory sr which came with toyota team europe goodys like spoiler, speedline alloys and a few othe bits and bobs.

yeh, i want the sr with the minor sports kit, but they seem to be hard to find.

ps micras are shite, no where near as much tuning potential as the ep starlet

have you heard of the turbo gt turbo and glanza v?

i think micras are lovely wee cars, but yeh as you said not as tunable, but i'm just looking for a cheap car at the mo, tuning would cost a lot, and yep heard of the turbo's and glanza's, actually the factor that attarcted me to starlets :unsure:

Welcome pal, i watched the latest rocky tonight then you joined. hmm..

lol :lol:

my bros 'sr's handing i think is pretty good, it hangs on very well round sharp bends at speed, with some good sticky rubber!

Insurance isn't that bad, but it depends on how much you have and what you class cheap?

Also, when he put an airfilter on it, the MPG was crap.

quite releiveing to hear that lol, i want insurance around the £1500 mark. :lol:

Welcome to the club mate :D

Everything you need to know abnout Starlets is here....just take a look in the Technical section....EVERY question you could ever ask HAS been answered in there somewherew :D

Good luck finding a nice Starlet....... :D

Cheers mate, will take a look in there.

A 1.3 Micra with an exhaust, manifold and filter would eat a NA Starlet so don't be taking the piss NA owners!! :D

I've drove a 1.0 on a private road and damn, its nippy as hell for a 1.0!!

lol , yeh the k11 micra has a sweet engine, reason why i actually respect the car now, they are good cars. The Starlet 1.3 and the Micra 1.3 have nearly the same engine spec, i think the micra actually has twin cams, but the tourque on the starlet seems to be higher.

:unsure:

The Starlet has 74bhp and the Micra has 75!! :unsure:

The Micra must be that little lighter too :D

lol

yes that huge 1bhp must make a massive difference :D aye the micra is lighter, so will probably be a tad more nippy, although i doubt it would be barlely noticeable :lol: micra is a tempting choice, but my sister has one :lol: plus there no way near as rare as a starlet and look very girly (although they look quite similar to a starlet :D )

buy an n/a starlet mate. you will not regret it!!!

awsome little cars. ive had so much fun in my n/a, its currently for sale but i wouldnt be selling if i didnt have to.

Check Kierz's example out mate :unsure:

Wont go far wrong with that car..... and how dare you compare the Starlet to the Micra :D

Check autotrader.co.uk there used to be loads of SR's floating about on there :lol: