Got me a Starlet and could do with a bit of help please.

Might as well introduce myself while Im here,

Im David aged 19, I passed my driving test 2 weeks ago, pretty much learned to drive and did my test in my mum's starlet and I loved it.

I had some money to buy me a new car, did a few test drives in other cars but I still loved driving the starlet more. So then my mum decides she wants to borrow my money for a new car and buy herself one, in return I get the Starlet for free and she pays me back over a year. Though this was a deal too good to miss. So thats how I got my starlet.

So ive got a Red 1998 Toyota Starlet Sportif with just over 40000 miles on the clock for nothing.

A quick newb question how do I know what EP it is, done some browsing but cant seem to find how its worked out?

Now my problem. Basically my mum didnt look after her cars bodywork very well, this has left me with a bonnet and roof which seems to have a white mist permanently on it. It can be rubbed off with my finger but this isn't easy and im not going to spend forever rubbing it off with my finger. So I though Id try to T Cut it. It definatly made a difference, but im still not happy with it, I couldnt get a nice shiny smooth finish, Ive tried polish but that just seem to make the white mist come back. It is almost as if the paint has lost the top layer that makes it smooth and shiny. If anyone has any tips or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and looking forward to modding my car with a bit or probably a lot of help from the people on here.

David

Starlet for free!!!! Lucky little get!!! I used an orbital buffer on my micra years ago when that was in the same condition. Took me about 4 t-cuts and six good waxes and orbital buffs to get the wax off, then it came out like new.

I had a red ep91 before the one i have now and i manged to get that clean

It wont come staright away though

my advise is to keep washing the car regularly but with decent shampoo like megs nxt gen or gold class

Also clay the car once or twice so remove contaminents from surface of paintwork and use paint cleaner to remove contaminents from within paintwork

All the will help to restore colour along with a good old fashion wax and polish :lol:

As a few will probs tell you lol my red EP was gleaming!

Prob find some pics on here somewhere mate

hello and welcome im prety new myself. If you do use g3 don't use shed loads because if the laquer is on it's way out you could make it worse. Also if the weather is realy hot put a small amount of water to it NOT soapy water and the a bit of red top to finish. If you scrunch a cloth up into a ball and then just wrap another one round it you can get a better grip and finish if done properly

Thanks a lot for all your advice, glad to hear its not a lost cause.

Im going to borrow one of those orbital buffers off a friend and give that a whirl, see if it helps. If not ill try some of the other things you have suggested.

Anyone have any suggestions how to get the black crap off that has built up in small places like under the rear windows and around the wing mirrors, have tried a toothbrush with not much luck, didnt want to try anything harder incase it scratches the paint. Was thinking a jet wash but not sure if its recomended?

Sorry about all the questions.

For £50 i could get sex and a blow job but its not the way i roll. lol

May pick summin nasty up doin that lol so maybe he should steer clear of that one! :p

Yea but if he gets it detailed for £50ish then he might save him self some money :p

:p:lol::p:lol::p

Welcome to the club Dave :p

lol yeah too true. lol yeah but he could buy most of the gear for that too.

Could he fuck!

First of all a PC is about £120ish and thats not includin all the bofore and after care products he will need to buy B)

Trust me mate i know my shizzle on this ;)

Thanks a lot for all your advice, glad to hear its not a lost cause.

Im going to borrow one of those orbital buffers off a friend and give that a whirl, see if it helps. If not ill try some of the other things you have suggested.

Anyone have any suggestions how to get the black crap off that has built up in small places like under the rear windows and around the wing mirrors, have tried a toothbrush with not much luck, didnt want to try anything harder incase it scratches the paint. Was thinking a jet wash but not sure if its recomended?

Sorry about all the questions.

An orbital buffer probs wont make much difference if paintwork is a bit crappy mate but you got nothin to lose trying

if it work then happy days B)

If i was you then i would start off doin summin like this :

1) Wash car using meguires nxt gen with a wash mit (NOT A SPONGE!!!!) using 2 bucket method to ensure you aint replacing any crap you have already taken off

2) Dry car using chamois

3) Clay the car using meguires smooth surface clay kit

4) Wash car again to remove and crap you have taken off paint

5) Using deep crystal paint cleaner to remove the contaminents from within paint

6) Wash car again

7) Then give it a wax and polish

by the way 2 bucket method is when you use one bucket with warm soapy water and another with just warm water, obviously wash car with the soapy water but everytime you rinse mit you use the bucket with warm water in before putting it back in bucket with soapy water. This removes any crap that may be on mit before putting it back over car avoiding any further scrathing!

That was for those who didnt know ;)

Pics of the car would be handy though fella so than we can see how bad it is or isnt B)

muddyell id never clean my car that many times in one day...pointless lol...i clean mine once and comes out perfect...no need to spend 1 day on just washing it lool...