OPINIONS NEEDED ON THIS LADS... ENGINE SHIT ITSELF DURING MAPPING TODAY!

Ok lads... Just to be clear I'm not pointing fingers at anyone but I want some opinions on this please. No names will be mentioned. Let me be as clear as I can with the facts about the car.

My friend recently built a fully forged 4efte ep82 running a td04 and an E-Manage Ultimate ECU. The engine was not a spanking fresh build and had been taken from a fully driving car.

The car was assembled from scratch and the bestof parts used throughout. The engine was fitted and the engine was started and idled for a very short time to check it was running ok. It was then driven a very short distance up and down a local lane. All seemed fine. Then it was driven to the local town to get tracking done and I met him then to go for food. When I met him the car seemed to be idling and driving fine and he drove it back up to the shed where I loaded it on my tow truck and brought it to his mapper.

The car was left with the tuner for a couple of weeks and the tuner said the timing was out by 4 teeth and he had to adjust it. He wired up the ECU and it all seemed to be running ok. Then my mate went to the tuner for the road mapping session and was well into the mapping session. They were off the clock doing 3rd gear pulls and he was delighted with the power and how the car was running and then bang, they blew a valve clean out of one of the wheels at 180kmh. They had no spare wheels and it was on a Sunday so couldn't get a replacement.

He left the car with the tuner and went back up today with new wheels. The car was started and let run in the yard and they were out about 15 mins finishing off the map when a squealing noise came into the head and they stopped the car.

The tuner sent us the following pictures below...

More than likely the engine is completely fucked now with metal filings in the head it's most probably travelled down around his bottom end so it will have to be stripped to check.

Two of the caps for the cams were scored. The tuner said he checked and the caps were in the right order according to the stamps on them etc.

What else to note is the dry cam?

Also if the engine was out by 4 teeth as the tuner said, surely it would have ran like a bag of shit and wouldn't have idled ok previously? Even with some adjustment on the distributor side?

My head is wrecked now as this guy put every last penny he had into this car and now right at the finish line this happens <\3

image_zpse0fdfab6.jpg

image_zpsfacf9c65.jpg

image_zps3cff70f0.jpg

image_zps30b8ce44.jpg

@ Shorty the engine came out of a running car that had been running ok before removal. The timing wasn't touched on either the timing belt side or the distributor side so he just fitted the engine the way it was. As stated above it was a full running engine not a fresh build.

@ waderz06 no I don't think he changed the oil pump before he fitted the engine

@ Micky boy yeah I'm not sure if it would even start if it was 4 teeth out but surely it wouldn't have idled smoothley?

if the oil pump was the issue the camshafts would be the least of your problems, the bottom end would fall apart knock first

tbh timing isnt really a issue here either, if it was out or not it wouldnt cause a problem like that..as you said the car would stall out/not start and it drove fine

this is a oil supply issue, there was oil present just not enough to give constant lube hence the end ones went i.e a blockage somewhere in the head/cams

imo of course

Not sure what oil pressure was like. We haven't removed and stripped the engine yet to check for bottom end damage but it will all have to be stripped and flushed out regardless with all them filings

It's a weird one Burkie engine had been running fine previously though. Showed the pics to a lot of people who said they've never seen anything like it before. Either way the engine will have to come apart now anyway

Edited by Browner