Missfire pulling away/under load UPDATE pics added

Maybe insignificant, yesterday I got two backfires when going slow, thought that's a bit odd, barely does it but has done it before under similar conditions.

Today I went to leave some traffic lights and it started to die out but drove fine, next set of traffic lights same thing so went home and had a little try pulling onto my drive it does it also which is slightly uphill.

I could hear it kinda backfiring or missin on tickover through the exhaust, so I had a look under the bonnet I felt my coolant hoses they felt pretty hard but it was hard to check thoroughly as they were so hot!

Took the rad cap off with a towel and lost a load of coolant.

I pulled off the ht leads one by one, they all made the engine run like crap so my thoughts are possibly coil? Or fuelling?

Watching my wideband as I was trying to pull away and it seemed to head towards the leaner scale.

Under boost it didn't miss, it's not seemed to lose any coolant, temperature stayed towards 1/4, no real white smoke, no petrol smell in coolant.

What should I check my first thoughts are maybe injector fuel pump fuel filter coil.

As for the hoses thermostat, hg at worst, or maybe I had an air lock?

If anyone can tip me I'd be really thankful cheers

Edited by TurboTobz

Pulling the leads off is a good sign if they all do it , it's if I does nothing when you pull em off.

Does it idle ok? Have you also checked the oil cap or bottle for "mayo"?

Rad hoses should fairly firm when engines running but not solid otherwise gases are getting into the system which can only mean hg me thinks.

Checked for any va c leaks at all?

Others maybe able to help more :)

Don't think there's vac leaks did have a general check, did check for mayo not even a slight bit on there hmmm I think ill try diagnostics I've read water temp sensor and lamda can give similar faults although my widebands reading usual readings idle and cruise, idles a little high but has been for a while

Hard hoses you mean coolant hoses ?? If they are solid I'm afraid it's hg on its way out mate. :( mine done this drove fine no overheating sod all just threw coolant out when I took the cap off because c02 getting into the system get it sorted before it gets any worse. mine currently at td waiting for it to be fixed drove sweet as a nut all the way up there which sucks as I know it's gone as had it sniff tested.

Hard hoses you mean coolant hoses ?? If they are solid I'm afraid it's hg on its way out mate. :( mine done this drove fine no overheating sod all just threw coolant out when I took the cap off because c02 getting into the system get it sorted before it gets any worse. mine currently at td waiting for it to be fixed drove sweet as a nut all the way up there which sucks as I know it's gone as had it sniff tested.

tbh this is exactley my thought it's never chucked coolant at me the hoses aren't solid as they could be but I'm sure theyve never been that hard. You sprang to mind actually when it happened, I've been looking at your thread.

If it is head gasket the engines coming out and not going in until I have a new clutch, Athena hg, and my forged rods pistons and arp bolt set. Shame I'm broke lol ah well got a little money saved by.

try taking the distributor cap off and cleaning everything, including the leads

Will give this a shot . Cheers
  • 4 weeks later...

So sniff test said not head gasket, I'll be trying a thermo and water temp sensor and plugs that I have laying about, I think possibly a coil/dizzy/igniter maybe a good thing to try, any other suggestions of things I need to do? I doubt it's leads as they're pretty new, and king leads under 3 months old.

Another thing, when it was tested the rubber bulb wasn't used to draw air in, the car was running for around 4-5 mins with the tester on it. Now I asked about the rubber bulb and my mate said he's never been taught to use one at work, I've had a little google and I have seen other people saying you can just let the gasses pressurise the block tester rather than drawing it through but I just want to check is the way the test was carried out correct, before I cross head gasket out of my mind.

Cheers

Edited by TurboTobz

I doubt it's leads as they're pretty new, and king leads under 3 months old.

One thing I was always taught is that just because something is new, doesn't mean it isn't the problem :). I've got a miss fire issue too since having my HG replaced and it's proving to be a pain to troubleshoot.

Edited by Arnold

I have had a look I found corrosion to all 4 tips and slight indents, the king lead came out and some white dust was in there as if that has some slight corrosion. The contact on the rotor shew some corrosion and the plastic itself has a crack, anyhow I'll upload some pics. The picture of the rotor arm is after I gave it a little whipe.

Could these be at fault? Gould I be replacing or cleaning them? I have another rotor arm from a head I stripped so could pop that on. Pics will be up in a moment!

Edited by TurboTobz

Doesn't hurt to give them a clean up with some electrical contact cleaner etc and see if it improves, if it improves it might be worth picking up a new dizzy cap. But be sure before throwing money away then it being something else :p

EDIT: 3rd pic down of where the leads plug in, mine were like that and I had a crack from where the previous owner decided that tightening everything up to a billion lbs was a good idea! new one arrived and they were all shiney. She's ran fine since!

Edited by Addymk2

I had a similar problem, turned out the points on the dizzy cap were quite worn and my king lead was rotten.

I fitted new dizzy cap and rotor, leads and plugs and it ran perfectly after that.

In your case I would clean up the points and see if its any better.

I have a rotor to hand, so I'll probably end up changing that but for time being I'll give them a good old clean up and try and get some bloody fuel in it and try it again, I will change the plugs when I can get over to my garage along with rotor hmm I don't feel this is the root of my troubles I was expecting it to look worse but it may just be ba contacts I'll hope and pray lol.