Exhaust Needs A Change!

The stupid thing is so loud it gets on my nerves, its impossible to sneak around in the car, expecially at night!! (Not that I do such a thing though)

When the cars started it sounds pretty sweet, nice and burbly, and it does till about 3k RPM (driving) but after that its just raspy and so Corsa style!!

So, what do you guys think I should do? Get a centre box fitted or just a stock mid pipe with the box on? (Cheaper for the stock centre pipe I think)

Also, how much will it quieten down by? Would I loose the raspy sound by doing this?

Any help appreciated

I had a stock centre section with silencer and back box and that was fairly loud, but i then got the centre back box cut out and a straight pipe welded in place and now it is bloody loud and backfires all the time (which I love!) - so I would imagine the addition of 1 silencer does make quite a difference!

But come on man, loudness is key! lol

Can't you change the backbox? Im sure powerflow will be able to quiet it down to that of a milkfloat... lol na but they will be able to make it quieter. Levels from 1-10, 10 being like no backbox at all :unsure:

I want to keep the backbox though, it looks well with the Glanza bumper!

Mine backfires too, its the best thing about it. But I can't do with such a loud exhaust! Well, especially a raspy/tinny one

The only way to quieten down things is add a centrebox mate

The majority of 4" backboxes are loud and raspy on the 4efe especially with no centrebox/silencer.

They do not promote much torque to be honest.

If its looks your after then a smaller one may look out of place a little with the glanza bumper.

I say all this mate as Ive just changed my backbox and its made the car a whole lot quieter. It used to be a 4" like yours and was pretty loud, raspy and droney so u cant hear whats being said in the car...

Im pretty happy with it and the car to drive is a whole lot smoother, however I speak from experience with my 5efe which has some more torque. The sound is sporty as in the sound from cars that have sports silencers as standard, you can rarely hear them, so its great to hear more engine noise and induction!

This theory can however still be used to combat your problem mate :unsure:

Joz

I wouldnt think so Idrees.

The drone from a 4" backbox can get pretty bad at times.

Think of the standard sound deadening and your not far off from the effect it makes if you added another layer.

By all means try if you can get it cheap as you seem pretty determined to keep your old backbox.

Good luck :unsure:

Joz

Wild is right mate.

Another reason for changing my backbox was that the baffles were finally done.

You may still get that raspy noise tho, its due to the muffler design (4" can) and also lack of centrebox.

Joz

Change your back box Idrees :unsure:

My system still has the mid box but since the other exhaust fell off the baffles came out of the hole it left and thats what makes the raspy sound.

Im going for a straight through system with a Blitz nur-spec style back box, go to a local exhaust fabricator and tell them the sound you want and they will do that for you whether you want a boxless sytem or not :p

Lucky you G!

I can't fork out for a full new system, I might just buy a new centre section for now and also change the backbox in the future. Thanks for all your help

Joz I'd love to hear a sound clip of yours mate!

Leave the mid section and just change the back box (for the same style if you like)

You dont have to go down the full system route yet mate....but it is the back box making the horrid noise so that will have to go not the mid section.

Take the car to a local fabricator like Powerflow etc and say you want the same style backbox but a nicer less raspy sound :unsure:

And Joz wheres these videos??? You got the camera clamp thingy now :p:p:lol:

I'll contact Powerflow and get an estimate then..

My brothers old car use to do the same thing too, so damn annoying.

And oh my god, took the car for a drive and the suspension is SOOO stiff, felt like sitting in Gee's Glanza which has D2s! My shocks may be damaged because I'm sure lowering springs wouldn't give such a harsh ride. Gotta love the handling though! (Makes me wonder what Joz's car handles like!! :unsure: )

by the way it was private roads

Oh the removable silencers.. Got one fitted to my brothers SR because his was too loud too, but it sounded gash because it rattled against the actual exhaust! But I think I may get one for the time being.. lets see what ebay has!! :p