Exhaust too short for wideband?

Thats what i was thinking adam. Id have popped it right in at the tail pipe but its gonna be a toght squeeze behind the front bumper i dont want the sensor on the outside of the bumper for obvious reasons lol

You could drill a hole in the tip and fit it in there, but problem is with that like you say is the bumper. If you can angle the sensor you may get away with it if the tip doesn't stick too far out.

Surely in the tip it would be inaccurate? I'd put it before the box IMO

Why would it be inaccurate? How do you think tuners use their widebands? They shove the probe up the tailpipe.

Tbh providing its not going to be providing a signal to an aftermarket ecu like a standalone then I wouldn't really worry too much where it goes, but where ever it does go it may shorten the lifespan of the sensor.

Fair point, but are tuners widebands designed to be at the rear? I'm only thinking theoretically hence the question mark, but the way I see it it's not only measuring what's in the exhaust but atmosphere too? I'm probably wrong, I know you know what your on about don't take that the wrong way.

Mm true, although I would expect the exhaust gas to be exiting the pipe to be of a greater pressure than atmosphere. I think the exhaust is so short anyway it will be a problem no matter where it goes lol.

I would possibly shove it in before the back box but actually in it with the sensor pointing down slightly.

• 9 months later...

Lifespan of sensor due to exhaust gas temps doubt you'll notice much difference as your not overly close the the heat source.

The bosch sensor makes up 50-60% of the costs of most kits they're not exactly cheap but I really doubt you'll see much difference in lifespan