Hi all,

I want to know who has 3 kids or more but still owns/use's the Starlet/Glanza as their everyday car to take children out and about in? Really random I know but I need to know how you do it because they are not massive and it would mean putting the eldest in the front due to the lap belt.

I have my heart set on one of these motors but with a third child on the way is it wise to consider getting one now? Even if you don't have children I'd appreciate your advice from just owning this car. Thank you :)

Getting a buggy in the boot might be a squeeze!

Managed to get 2 kids, car seat, buggy, 3 camping chairs, crash helmet and tonnes of other crap in the car and it all fit :D It was like playing tetris with my boot. The parcel shelf had to come out though. I imagine all the stuff needed with three kids would be quite difficult to get it to fit, especially as children need booster seats

Edited by Arnold

Managed to get 2 kids, car seat, buggy, 3 camping chairs, crash helmet and tonnes of other crap in the car and it all fit :D It was like playing tetris with my boot. The parcel shelf had to come out though. I imagine all the stuff needed with three kids would be quite difficult to get it to fit, especially as children need booster seats

Now that is a sterling effort!

People will say its a tin can and that they arent safe to carry children about in this may be true BUT

I garuntee they are far better built than things like 106/206, corsas and fiestas all made before 2002 which no one would think twice about carrying children in.

Anyone who has owned any of those other cars will confirm just how poorly made those cars are and how cheap the materials and metals used are. Any welders will tell you that the metal used for the panels and chassis on a starlet are alot higher quality than that used on a ford or vauxhall.

That said it doesnt make them safe but tbh unless u buy a nearly new car then most n cap rating are void after 4 years of manufacturing im sure.

Edited by StuDoc 72

Well I currently own a Citroen Saxo 1.1L obviously that hasn't got a proper middle seat belt and the boot well, its reasonable its just so boring! My other half has an Evo again, that doesn't have a proper middle belt either. I really don't want a people carrier :bad: plus i'm about 5ft 2 so probably wouldn't be able to see over the bloodie wheel!

In my situation would you buy one? considering we will end up having to take two cars whenever we want to go out as a "family"

People will say its a tin can and that they arent safe to carry children about in this may be true BUT

I garuntee they are far better built than things like 106/206, corsas and fiestas all made before 2002 which no one would think twice about carrying children in.

Anyone who has owned any of those other cars will confirm just how poorly made those cars are and how cheap the materials and metals used are. Any welders will tell you that the metal used for the panels and chassis on a starlet are alot higher quality than that used on a ford or vauxhall.

That said it doesnt make them safe but tbh unless u buy a nearly new car then most n cap rating are void after 4 years of manufacturing im sure.

My saxo is disgusting when it comes to build quality, I watched the crash test and oh my gosh we would all be lucky to escape with a broken pelvis ... delightful!

In my situation would you buy one? considering we will end up having to take two cars whenever we want to go out as a "family"

My saxo is disgusting when it comes to build quality, I watched the crash test and oh my gosh we would all be lucky to escape with a broken pelvis ... delightful!

Exactly I can garuntee they are of a far safer standard than a saxo but you would not be criticised for using that to carry children because it is not a performance car? Senseless if you ask me.

Personally I cant advise you as I dont have 3 kids but if you manage just now with a similarly sized car and would be prepared to use 2 cars when going places then I dont see why not.

Im not sure what cars in the same price bracket as a starlet would have anything other than a lapbelt in the middle seat anyway.

At the end of the day it will be your choice and you that has to live with it. If you want it enough then im sure ull manage. I have no doubts in my mind that the times you are driving it without the kids in the car that you wont regret it at all lol.

Exactly I can garuntee they are of a far safer standard than a saxo but you would not be criticised for using that to carry children because it is not a performance car? Senseless if you ask me.

Personally I cant advise you as I dont have 3 kids but if you manage just now with a similarly sized car and would be prepared to use 2 cars when going places then I dont see why not.

Im not sure what cars in the same price bracket as a starlet would have anything other than a lapbelt in the middle seat anyway.

At the end of the day it will be your choice and you that has to live with it. If you want it enough then im sure ull manage. I have no doubts in my mind that the times you are driving it without the kids in the car that you wont regret it at all lol.

Well thank you for all your advice and opinion, I'm not much of a racer anyway because i'm terrified of crashing thanks to my saxo lol! I think I will regret it if I don't get one so F**k it! I'm getting one. :yahoo:

Well if your a sensible driver then I would say a Glanza is far safer and better built than a saxo so I wouldnt be concerned. I hope you get yourself a good one. The best place to buy from is on here anyway that way you can see the cars history.

If everyone bought cars from a safety aspect we would all be driving volvos.

Not trying to put you off, but take a read here :

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?88009-Did-you-ever-crash-your-Glanza-How-was-it-safety-wise-Any-pics

A car that was designed in the late 80's early 90's, has materials which are made from old Heinz baked bean tins is not going to be safe. Some people have had acidents in their starlets and have walked away unscaved, the car crumpled and did its job in doing so. However saying that, if god forbid you were to have an acident with your children in the car, would you be prepared to take the risk?

I know from first hand experience, I was involved in a high speed crash in my dads old skyline, baring in mind that was a late 90's, weighing in at nearly 2 tonnes of material. The car crumpled like a tesco bag, and the roof had to be cut off to get me out as the seat twisted as the car hit the armco.

Just my 2 pence.

You can have the safest car in the world, the fact of the matter is theres always a massive amount of glass allowing anything thing in from many angles. If the enevitable is going to happen it will happen.

That said, personally i wouldnt have a starlet with 3 kids due to the center being a lap belt. An not a 3 point locking belt like the rest.

That said, personally i wouldnt have a starlet with 3 kids due to the center being a lap belt. An not a 3 point locking belt like the rest.

Same here. Just not worth the risk really, especially considering how cheap larger family cars are to buy these days. Can't put a price on your family's safety

I only have one baby but the starlet is far from ideal getting him in the back in his car seat is very hard work.

We also have an eu civic same as the ep but 5 doors and that's amazing. It's huge in the back, easily seat 3 adults. Worth a look.

Well I certainly don't plan to go out and crash but after all thats been said I don't even want to drive my saxo now lol. The idea is to stay with a smaller engine due to costs to insure, tax etc... with all said you take a risk stepping outside everyday anyway. I certainly wouldn't even dream of putting all three in the back due to the lap belt in the middle and I have recaro car seats and they are quite wide so they wouldn't possibly fit anyway.

That would be cool to convert it into a 5 door I even looked into fitting a rear custom roll cage to fit a harness for the middle but, I do all my driving mainly when my eldest is at school so I will only be taking the two youngest out the majority of the time. A 3 door isn't ideal admitfully but I only want a small car and it's no different to my saxo which is 3 door it's just got a bigger engine, like I said I'm only small myself and feel i'd struggle to drive a larger family car. Plus I have the advantage of my other half owning a five door which is much bigger.

I only have one baby but the starlet is far from ideal getting him in the back in his car seat is very hard work.

We also have an eu civic same as the ep but 5 doors and that's amazing. It's huge in the back, easily seat 3 adults. Worth a look.

Have you got a decent link? How much are they to buy?